• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pay Frequency Changing From Every Other Week to Once a Month

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Moe

I work for a division of a Fortune 100 company. They are implementing a new payroll frequency cycle. Currently exempt employees are paid every other Friday (26 pay periods/yr). The new cycle (starting 4/1/2000) will be once a month (12 pay periods/yr). They will now pay me on the last working day of the month for the month I worked. They will be paying hourly employees every other week (they were once a week). The positive for them is obviously the one time cash flow benefit, but they are taking it from their exempt employees. They also have my money for approx. 2 additional weeks. Is this legal? Is it right?

T

Tyrone

Most states require employers to pay hourly employees at least bi-weekly or semi-monthly. I don't know if any states require the same for exempt employees, but I do know most big companies pay it monthly. It's not just the float but also its less work for the firm.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">