• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

paying debt and still sent to collections

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

smd5651

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
I have paid on a hospital bill every month for the last few months and just recieved a notice from a debt collection agency to pay the bill in full. I thought if you paid regularly they couldn't send you to collections....If you don't have the money to pay in full you would think they would be glad you are trying to pay the bill off.

emach1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
I have paid on a hospital bill every month for the last few months and just recieved a notice from a debt collection agency to pay the bill in full. I thought if you paid regularly they couldn't send you to collections....If you don't have the money to pay in full you would think they would be glad you are trying to pay the bill off.
Send your partial payments to the collection agency. Dont pay it in full if you dont have it. I think they would be happy even with partial payments.

racer72

The correct answer. Hospitals require payment in full upon completion of services unless you applied for a payment plan. You obviously did not. The hospital does not have to accept your partial payments. Even if they do, this does not mean they cannot take other actions to collect on the debt. The collection agency likely will not accept the partial payments, they will demand payment in full. Plus the CA is going to add a bunch of fees to the outstanding balance. Your best course of action would be to find a way to pay off the debt as soon as possible. The longer you wait, the more it will cost you.

emach1

The correct answer. Hospitals require payment in full upon completion of services unless you applied for a payment plan. You obviously did not. The hospital does not have to accept your partial payments. Even if they do, this does not mean they cannot take other actions to collect on the debt. The collection agency likely will not accept the partial payments, they will demand payment in full. Plus the CA is going to add a bunch of fees to the outstanding balance. Your best course of action would be to find a way to pay off the debt as soon as possible. The longer you wait, the more it will cost you.
:rolleyes: Racer72 pretty much summed up the legalese which everyone with a brain is aware of.

The fact that the hospital made payment arrangements with you is what you can expect from the collection agency. I know of no collection agency that will refuse your continued payments, although folks like Racer72 will have you to believe debtor prison's are alive and well.

Racer72, this person wasnt asking for a rehash of the paperwork they signed. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

TigerD

emach - you really want to rethink getting snippy with racer. The old man of the mountain goes to him for advice.

DC

racer72

:
Racer72, this person wasnt asking for a rehash of the paperwork they signed.
He wasn't asking for the totally wrong advice you gave either. He obviously did not know what his legal obligations were, I explained them in plain English.

emach1

He wasn't asking for the totally wrong advice you gave either. He obviously did not know what his legal obligations were, I explained them in plain English.
Advice is advice wether you believe it wrong or not. As I said before, you are not the period at the end of everyones sentence. There are many approaches to issues. It is awfully barbaric to assume people adhere to your advice one and for all. Now move along old man of the mountain (DC's words, not mine).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">