• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Permenant Resident threatened with...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Neveragian

What is the name of your state (CA)?

If a permenant resident were to get a restraining order for a civil case of harrasment, would this impact their N400 when it comes to filing for Citizenship.

NYImmLaw

Well, so long as you were not arrested or charged with any crime, then a purely civil restraining order should not impact your N-400. In fact, there are no questions about civil cases or judgments on the form and no parts of the good moral character requirements that say anything about civil cases. As far as the FBI checks go, I don't even think those searches reveal civil cases (but I'm not 100% sure about that). So I don't think you need to either tell the USCIS about the civil order and I don't think they will discover the civil order in your background check. However, if you were arrested but the charges were dropped, then you will still need to put this on the N-400, which might lead the USCIS to discover the civil restraining order. But even if the USCIS does find out about a civil restraining order I would be surprised if your N-400 was denied, if this was the only moral character issue.

Neveragian

Well, so long as you were not arrested or charged with any crime, then a purely civil restraining order should not impact your N-400. In fact, there are no questions about civil cases or judgments on the form and no parts of the good moral character requirements that say anything about civil cases. As far as the FBI checks go, I don't even think those searches reveal civil cases (but I'm not 100% sure about that). So I don't think you need to either tell the USCIS about the civil order and I don't think they will discover the civil order in your background check. However, if you were arrested but the charges were dropped, then you will still need to put this on the N-400, which might lead the USCIS to discover the civil restraining order. But even if the USCIS does find out about a civil restraining order I would be surprised if your N-400 was denied, if this was the only moral character issue.
Thanks wacko ex partner won't pay me back money he owes me, I sent 1 e.mail requesting it and he sends me an email, stating if I call, email or text again then he will get a restraining order placed on me.

NYImmLaw

Thanks wacko ex partner won't pay me back money he owes me, I sent 1 e.mail requesting it and he sends me an email, stating if I call, email or text again then he will get a restraining order placed on me.
That's when you forget about asking for the money yourself and hire an attorney to try to get it for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">