• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Personal Liability in a Corporation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

streich3

Illinois Law.

I was the president of a corporation I formed in 2002. I started the business on a shoe string and it was way undercapitalized. I had one good client who promised $9 million dollars in work. Well, the work never came (to the extent that the revenue was enough to sustain the business). I kept asking crditors to be patient and that once this big contract took off they would be paid. So, the corporation was extended credit for over a year in some cases with the creditors hope that the business would take off when the big contract swung into gear. Well my big client kepr dribbling the work to mee at a rate that would not support the corporation or me. So, I stopped doing business, called the creditors and told them I was sorry but the business was closing. For five years, the corporation never filed any income taxes because it never made any money. Furthermore there was no money to hire an accountant to prepare the returns. The corporation never filed for bancrupty because there was no money to pay an attorney, much less the filing fees. Well, there is one creditor which the corporation owed $12,000. Unbeknownst to me, the creditor obtained a Judgement against the corporation. Now they are trying to file the Judgement against me personally, saying that I intended to fraud them which is a lie.

How can I defend myself? I cannot afford an attorney.

JETX

Well, there is one creditor which the corporation owed $12,000. Unbeknownst to me, the creditor obtained a Judgement against the corporation. Now they are trying to file the Judgement against me personally, saying that I intended to fraud them which is a lie.

How can I defend myself?
You're going to have to find the funds to get an attorney. The claim they are making is serious and, based solely on your post, they MIGHT be able to present enough to convince the court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">