• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Personal vehicle coverage on the job

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

spinbad

What is the name of your state? IN

My wife works as an Activity Director for a local assisted living facility. Part of her job is to take residents to and from doctor appointments. They have a company van/bus, however, they have to share the vehicle with another of their facilities, so it is not always available. The company has been having her drive her personal vehicle to take the residents to their appointments. Recently, my wife was informed that if any accident happened while she was going to and from these appointments that they would not be responsible for.

She's on the clock, doing the companys' work, can they legally have no responsibility over what happens #1) to a resident whom, I would assume, they do have responsibility over and #2) any accidents work related?

Beth3

If your wife is injured on the job, her injuries and any lost time would be covered by worker's compensation. WC doesn't cover property damage or loss however. It's quite likely her employer would have no liability for any damage to her vehicle. I suggest you discuss all this with your auto insurance agent.

JETX

In light of their response, why exactly doesn't your wife just tell them that she will NOT transport their patients at her risk???

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">