• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Piercing and purple hair for a minor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

frustratedinKY

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kentucky

My niece (who is four and a half) comes back from visits with her mother (who shares joint custody with my brother) with stories of what her mom plans to do with her once she turns five. For example, she talks about body piercings, hair coloring and has even mentioned tatoos. Since my brother has joint custody, is there any way he can legally prevent her from making these type of decisions apart from his joint approval? Needless to say, he wants to stop her from doing all of the above. Thanks for any advice you can give!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kentucky

My niece (who is four and a half) comes back from visits with her mother (who shares joint custody with my brother) with stories of what her mom plans to do with her once she turns five. For example, she talks about body piercings, hair coloring and has even mentioned tatoos. Since my brother has joint custody, is there any way he can legally prevent her from making these type of decisions apart from his joint approval? Needless to say, he wants to stop her from doing all of the above. Thanks for any advice you can give!
Tattoos as in temporary or real? Real tattoos cannot legally be given to a five year old. A court would frown on such.

Piercings? Ears? No problem. Other things -- who is going to do the piercings? They are considered temporary as well. However if an area other than ears is pierced at the age of five that would be a problem.

Hair coloring? A temporary fix.

Real tattoos and "adult" piercings would be an issue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">