• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Plea deal in NY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
My main concern is keeping points off my record.
Why??? People get so hung up on points - for NO reason.

Do you make a habit of getting traffic tickets? If not then the points pretty much mean nothing.

You never told us what the charge is, i.e. how fast in what speed zone. That would help.

hinher

Why??? People get so hung up on points - for NO reason.

Do you make a habit of getting traffic tickets? If not then the points pretty much mean nothing.

You never told us what the charge is, i.e. how fast in what speed zone. That would help.
81 in a 65.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
That's 4 points.

Points are assessed for DMV purposes only. Insurance companies basically have their own points systems which do not necessarily correspond to DMV's.

Typically a prosecutor will reduce a speeding charge to a "disobey traffic control device" (VTL 1110(a)). This will reduce the points to 2 and this infraction is pretty generic and doesn't really raise red flags like a speeding conviction.

asiny

asiny

I'm just curious, do you talk to people, in person, the same way you write to me?

...or are you just upset because I give advice to convicts? or are you one of those girlie men who's frightened of guns? (you referred to me as Dillon jr.)
Sums it up quite nicely;
No because most people are polite, reasonably intelligent people who don't come jeopardizing people by posting completely incorrect and other wise useless information, posting to months old thread, and screwing with the fonts, even though you've been informed on countless occasions that such behavior is counter to the accepted behavior on this forum.

As long as you continue to give out incorrect information and otherwise make a jerk out of yourself, you can expect people to treat you accordingly.
And for those wondering;
https://forum.freeadvice.com/sentencing-parole-pardons-plea-bargains-29/desperate-question-regarding-expunging-my-conviction-pa-565998.html#post2941787
And, for those who don't care to follow the link, i've highlighted the irrelevant part;
Even though, only the state of PA can expunge the records (but not in your case), I'm wondering if moving to another state, a judge in another state might (?) be able to restore your civil rights.

I believe Arizona is a state that would do this and if so, I'm sure other states may as well.

Such restoration in another state would not be valid in PA, but would be valid in the state that does this for you.

This would lift your gun right prohibitions under state law (in the state where your rights are restored). I'm not sure if it would lift your gun prohibition under federal law.

hinher

Thanks to all those that have helped so far.

So basically all I should do is write a short note saying that I have proof that I wasn't going the speed that the officer suggests, but am willing to take a deal if an acceptable offer is made?

hinher

Also, If I've driven as a professional safety driver in the past, and have taken a defensive driving course; Would this help my case? getting a speeding ticket would preclude me from returning to my job.

You Are Guilty

What kind of distance are we talking about here? (Keeping in mind most properly designed on-ramps let you get up to at least 40-50mph before having to merge).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">