• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

please help if you can.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? west virginia

I received a notice in the mail today from a child support collections agency. I have never received any notice before to pay child support, or any kind of court order.
Have you moved recently? Is there some way in which you could have missed a court date?

mech1804088 said:
I want custody of my son, but he is in a different state, his custodial parent moved and does not talk to me.
There are separate legal remedies for this type of situation.

mech1804088 said:
How can I defend myself against this?
Do I have to get defense in the state it came from?
Yes, absolutely you need defense/help in that state, not yours.

mech1804088 said:
I'm on disability, and have had many credit checks apparently this has been going on for a while and I owe around 9000 dollars, how do I remove that or get that lowered?
Depends upon how it goes when you protest the judgement.

mech1804088 said:
Can I use this as an opportunity to see my son?
Depends upon whether or not you find him and file in court for a visitation schedule. Are you legally the father already?

mech1804088 said:
I received an emailed threat from my mother saying she would report me if I didn't stop contact from my sister, so she knew about this and didn't report me before or say anything to me. Can I do something about this as well?
Do you think your mother got your service notice and kept the fact from you?

Antigone*

don't you have anything better to do?
If you want help, I strongly suggest you not get snarky. Otherwise you can take your $20M debt and put it where the sun don't shine.

Tigi Out:cool:

It ticks the volunteers off when you come pleading for help and get pissy with us.

mech1804088

there seems to be a huge misunderstanding I don't have a problem paying for my child, the problem I have is that I want to see him and raise him and I can't, I was asking how I could, and if I cant see and raise him how do I defend myself. That was all I was asking.

LdiJ

I am not an expert in this area, but I believe your child may be eligible for benefits. This would certainly help mom raise your child.
SSDI (Social Security Disability Income) = Benefits available for the child
SSI (Supplemental Security Income) = No benefits available for the child.

mech1804088

silver plum i moved, but what im not getting is that the social security administration updates my status every time i do so, I could be homeless and my social security number will still be checked every time a change is made. Thank you very much, I'm guessing I will have to move to TN. I am on the birth certificate, however if the agency has my address they will have theirs

mech1804088

If you want help, I strongly suggest you not get snarky. Otherwise you can take your $20M debt and put it where the sun don't shine.

Tigi Out:cool:

It ticks the volunteers off when you come pleading for help and get pissy with us.
whether you help or not it still doesn't give anyone a right to be rude or offensive

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
there seems to be a huge misunderstanding I don't have a problem paying for my child, the problem I have is that I want to see him and raise him and I can't, I was asking how I could, and if I cant see and raise him how do I defend myself. That was all I was asking.
Then you file a petition in the county of the child's residence asking for visitation time. You will have to follow Tennessee's Civil court's policies and procedures for proper service to Mom, etc etc.

Defend yourself from what? Paying CS? :cool:

Proserpina

The other big difference:

SSDI = can be garnished for CS.

SSI = cannot be garnished for CS.

It does come across as if OP is asking that if he can't raise the child himself, can he get out of child support?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">