• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please!!!Need any advice for commercial landlord/tenant laws in California

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fish4hc

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Im a tenant in a commercial shopping center in California. We have been at our location for a short amount of time and our business is already failing. We have another location in another city that is doing great but this location has not worked for us. The landlord had promised so much foot traffic and some really good perspective neighbors that would help us with our traffic. It has been the opposite. The foot traffic is actually hurting our business as the business next door that moved in after us has alot of young people that hang out right in front of our business and has actually scared off lots of our clients from coming in. Lots of creeps. As well as a liquor store opening up next to us as well and now has raised the amount of homeless drunks out front of us. We are a salon and spa mainly for women.

We have explained in writing to the landlord that we are having a difficult time making it and requested a meeting to talk but has been ignored. We have called and emailed but nothing. Finally last week they agreed to meet but then just the other day while one of my managers was working, a few older men came in and demanded to look at the property and had the owner of the property on the phone. They looked around and my manager heard them tell the landlord that they will take it and will move in soon. Then they approached my manager and said they were moving in the first of next month. Some of the details they also said were proof to me that they indeed had the owner on the phone.
The bad thing is we had 3 customers in rooms and they all overheard the conversation as well and now want to cancel their packages with us and have told alot of other people they know so now we have people canceling every day and asking us when we are closing down. This is now completely killing our chances of making enough money to pay rent. We have lost over $1500 in the last few days and it looks like more to come. We have customers asking us everyday what is going on.

The manager finally agreed to meet with us the other day but we called the landlord back to reschedule the meeting for two days later as we had some emergencies to deal with and asked why they had sent someone in like that with no notice to us about what was going on. They completely denied that they had sent anyone at all and now wont return our calls or emails to even confirm our meeting.

In the end I know we are responsible for not paying rent and I have read that the laws are not in favor for commercial tenants so my question is what the heck do we do. We definitely cant pay rent now as we are literally losing business by the day as everyone thinks we are closing now. So what should we do. What should our next move be??? How do I legally and morally deal with this???

Im lost.....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">