• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Plz I NEED HELP !!!!!!!!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

formnil

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? california

I found a housing info on the craigslist. And the guy claimed he is gonna be my roommate. After some texts back and forth, i agreed to pay 550 per month, and the lease lasts for a year. I signed the lease and wrote him a check to pay 1000 for the secruity deposit and 300 for the last month rent ( since im only gonna stay for half of the month at the end). RIght now, that guy disapperead, and the real roommate asked me to pay 640 per month and he didnt know i paid 300 for the last month rent. And he said potentially the landowner may deduct the deposit since the house has already had some damages on it. I feel like i am in a huge scam right now. I only have texts to prove that we had agreements. What should i do in order to get my deposit back?

Gail in Georgia

The security deposit to the guy who disappeared?

Unless you can get the check stopped or reversed by your bank, nothing. Unless, of course, you can find the guy who scammed you and have him charged and even then, it's no guarantee you'll get this money back.

Gail

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">