• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

POA, guardianship etc for elders

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida. Can I be appointed legal POA and or guardianship of all my mothers financial affairs if she lives in Arizona? Im an only child and my father (her ex-husband) is deceased.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida. Can I be appointed legal POA and or guardianship of all my mothers financial affairs if she lives in Arizona? Im an only child and my father (her ex-husband) is deceased.
Assuming she is competent, your mother is allowed to appoint anybody she wants as her POA.

For guardianship, how do you expect to properly fulfill your duties as a guardian if you are way over in Florida?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What duties?
You don't think that a guardian has duties? I'm not talking about POA, I'm talking about guardian:

From http://www.azbar.org/workingwithlawyers/topics/aguidetoguardianshipandconservatorship

What are the duties of a guardian?
A guardian has powers and responsibilities similar to those of a parent. The guardian may make personal decisions for the ward relating to living arrangements, education, social activities, and authorization or withholding of medical or other professional care, treatment, or advice. The guardian must always make decisions that are in the best interests of the ward. The guardian must always make sure that the ward is living in the least restrictive environment in which the ward can remain safe.

A guardian must submit a written report to the court annually on the date of the guardian's appointment. The report must include information on the health and living conditions of the ward and a current physician's report.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">