• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

police brutality

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

no1ygfan

CALIFORNIA

I got myself into some trouble last may and got charged with reckless evading and resisting arrest. The only issue is the amount of force the sherriff dept used on me when they did detain me. They went to pull me over and i got scared and ran well i ended up wrecking my car doing 80 off the fairfax freeway exit, well if you knew me you would know I can't run fast and cant run very long without getting totally winded (asthma) plus I was already terrified I was going to be shot for running in the car. When i got out of the car my body was injured and definitely was in shock I immediately put my hands in the air and started heading towards the sheriffs summoning me. I was on a lower ground level so one sheriff put their hand out to help me up out of the ditch I was in, then totally threw me off and punched me like a man in my face. They threw me on the ground and I was more than being compliant at this point because I knew I was screwed. They kept yeling quit resisting and I was not moving at all then they said if you dont stop resisting were going to release the k9 .... My hands were already behind my back and I was laid down on the ground...It seemed as soon as they said that I had their k9 using my left leg as a chew bone....It seemed like forever they had him on me I screamed and begged and cried to call him off but they waited im guessing about 5 minutes before calling him off. I remember when they were waiting on the ambulance i heard one of them say ;dont put that bitch in my car i don't want her bleeding all over my seat;. Then after being taken to icu and being kept for 2 days at kmc(hospital) they took me to downtown jail. The upkeep of my deep open wounds was ridiculous and very dangerous. I was in a wheelchair with a black eye and they still made me get on the top bunk. I luckily convinced my mom to bail me out after a week and the day i got out i went to urgent care because my leg was bothering me so much and i was kept for 3 days in icu because I had such a bad infection. My doctor was disgusted at the care i received.and said i could have even died. Well they are now trying to send me to prison for 2 years over it and I am really wanting them to not get away with how I was treated. I understand i was in the wrong however multiple large male officers had no business handling me that way. My leg still has constant pain, i have very deep scars my leg wont even straighten out all the way!! It sticks to the left.... Anytime a dog barks im in tears and straight into a panic attack I used to love dogs now they scare the piss out of me. What are my next steps and do you think i have a case? I KNOW I SHOULDNT HAVE RAN.... I STILL BEAT MYSELF UP OVER IT HOWEVER I DONT THINK THIS EXCUSES THEIR ACTIONS

Just Blue

CALIFORNIA

I got myself into some trouble last may and got charged with reckless evading and resisting arrest. The only issue is the amount of force the sherriff dept used on me when they did detain me. They went to pull me over and i got scared and ran well i ended up wrecking my car doing 80 off the fairfax freeway exit, well if you knew me you would know I can't run fast and cant run very long without getting totally winded (asthma) plus I was already terrified I was going to be shot for running in the car. When i got out of the car my body was injured and definitely was in shock I immediately put my hands in the air and started heading towards the sheriffs summoning me. I was on a lower ground level so one sheriff put their hand out to help me up out of the ditch I was in, then totally threw me off and punched me like a man in my face. They threw me on the ground and I was more than being compliant at this point because I knew I was screwed. They kept yeling quit resisting and I was not moving at all then they said if you dont stop resisting were going to release the k9 .... My hands were already behind my back and I was laid down on the ground...It seemed as soon as they said that I had their k9 using my left leg as a chew bone....It seemed like forever they had him on me I screamed and begged and cried to call him off but they waited im guessing about 5 minutes before calling him off. I remember when they were waiting on the ambulance i heard one of them say ;dont put that bitch in my car i don't want her bleeding all over my seat;. Then after being taken to icu and being kept for 2 days at kmc(hospital) they took me to downtown jail. The upkeep of my deep open wounds was ridiculous and very dangerous. I was in a wheelchair with a black eye and they still made me get on the top bunk. I luckily convinced my mom to bail me out after a week and the day i got out i went to urgent care because my leg was bothering me so much and i was kept for 3 days in icu because I had such a bad infection. My doctor was disgusted at the care i received.and said i could have even died. Well they are now trying to send me to prison for 2 years over it and I am really wanting them to not get away with how I was treated. I understand i was in the wrong however multiple large male officers had no business handling me that way. My leg still has constant pain, i have very deep scars my leg wont even straighten out all the way!! It sticks to the left.... Anytime a dog barks im in tears and straight into a panic attack I used to love dogs now they scare the piss out of me. What are my next steps and do you think i have a case? I KNOW I SHOULDNT HAVE RAN.... I STILL BEAT MYSELF UP OVER IT HOWEVER I DONT THINK THIS EXCUSES THEIR ACTIONS
So what is your question?

Eekamouse

CALIFORNIA

What do you think would have been appropriate? Them pulling you up and giving you a hug after you led them on a dangerous high speed chase where you endangered not only yourself but also the police and anyone else that was also on the same road as you? You must not watch any reality police shows or you would have known what you were doing was not going to end happily for you.

quincy

CALIFORNIA

Your next steps? Hiring a criminal defense attorney.

The attorney will check to see if the officers' actions were captured on video, both at the scene of the accident and while you were in jail. The treatment of your injuries while you were in jail also will be reviewed.

Because of the accident and the circumstances that caused it, it would be hard to prove the officers are responsible for any of your injuries. Because you were fleeing the police, the police treatment of you at the scene of the accident is likely to be seen as justified.

quincy

Bear in mind that your treatment in jail has nothing to do with the charges you face. It is a separate matter.
Right. The criminal charges are separate from the police treatment.

Police "brutality" will not excuse a criminal act committed prior or excuse an evading police charge. It could, however, get a "resisting arrest" charge dismissed.

And it could lead to charges against the police.

The defense attorney should want to investigate it all.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">