• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Police filed shaky report with child services

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mamashakesit

IGNORE PRG... he has no clue. I do these type of cases. Eyewitness accounts matter not. If the child was dropped off at a particular address and went inside, then they should start with that house. However, I don't think that picture "lineup" would satisfy any type of challenge. Mandated reporters are NOT supposed to do an investigation however prior to reporting.
Thank you. I did talk to the investigator yesterday to follow up on our original conversation. Many of my questions did not start until I was driving home and started processing the discrepancy between the child services report and what the investigator talked about. The "witness" did not wait for the child to go inside the home, apparently, nor does the investigator plan to follow up further on the matter, is my understanding.

So when CPS drops off door alarms, I should keep it strictly to the doorway? "Thank you, goodbye." My dad thinks I should share the concerns with the CPS worker about the lack of investigation that went into a child last being seen dropped off by an adult male at 3 a.m. at the wrong home.

The defense attorney I called earlier said unless I'm charged with a crime, they can't help.

And either way, I'm of course concerned about my child having a confirmed and terrifying sleepwalking incident. I'm also concerned with the way this whole thing was handled and don't want her pegged for something that she didn't do.

mamashakesit

Did you ask the officer if s/he went to the home where the child was dropped off ? Is there a child that lives at that address?

You really should consult with/hire an attorney that specializes in CPS cases.
I asked him yesterday. He did not go to the house and said he's not even sure which house it is.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Thank you. I did talk to the investigator yesterday to follow up on our original conversation. Many of my questions did not start until I was driving home and started processing the discrepancy between the child services report and what the investigator talked about. The "witness" did not wait for the child to go inside the home, apparently, nor does the investigator plan to follow up further on the matter, is my understanding.

So when CPS drops off door alarms, I should keep it strictly to the doorway? "Thank you, goodbye." My dad thinks I should share the concerns with the CPS worker about the lack of investigation that went into a child last being seen dropped off by an adult male at 3 a.m. at the wrong home.

The defense attorney I called earlier said unless I'm charged with a crime, they can't help.

And either way, I'm of course concerned about my child having a confirmed and terrifying sleepwalking incident. I'm also concerned with the way this whole thing was handled and don't want her pegged for something that she didn't do.
I would call them back and say you will purchase your own alarms and then do so. Your dad is wrong. The CPS worker is not going to care. The less you say to CPS, the better.

PayrollHRGuy

Wow. I think, if I were you, I may go have a sit down with the Chief about the lack of basic investigation down in this case.
Why should there be such an investigation and the only possible criminal act would be on the part of the OP or actually the OP's parents who were watching the child at the time?

quincy

mamashakesit, there is way too much that confuses me about the incident you describe but whatever is happening, the following video of a lecture by a Regent University School of Law professor is a video you should watch from start to finish. Whenever you are involved in any sort of investigation by the police or CPS, the lessons from Law Professor James Duane are good ones to remember.

Just Blue

You don't need/want a defense attorney, you need a Family Law attorney that specializes in CPS cases.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
ALarms are good as are deadbolts.
What I've done with Mom is put latches at the tops of the doors leading to the outside. This works - depending on height. I'm 5'4", and I can *just* reach if I stretch, so that's fine as Mom's only 5'0"... I would expect a 10+yo to be able to reach sooner rather than later.

I'm not fond of deadbolts as they can be a safety hazard in the event of a fire.

I'd go with alarms in this situation - especially if they were being given to me...

quincy

Deadbolts and bars on windows can help prevent break-ins (or break-outs, as the case may be) but I agree that alarms are safer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">