• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

police procedures

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lilmis8

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

about 8 months ago i called 911 to my home after a fight with my husband i was
very upset a screaming on the tape the police came kicked my door down and
arrested my husband which giving the circumstances i understand The police
wanted to know what happened i told them that i had alot to drink and that i
wasn't sure but that i thought that i was sexually assualted or that he may have
tried i was not injured though the police wanted me to go to the hospital and i
refused over and over agin but the officer told me the i had no choice so i went
crying that i didn't want to go when i got there i was asked to write a statment
which i also didn't want to write because i felt as though my memory was fuzzy
at the time and i was feeling sick from all that i had to drink i was told that
they had to have my statment before they would leave and that it didn't have to
be totally right because it was not being used for them to press charges the
police told me something to write and not to forget certain things to write i
didn't even want to sign but the told me that i had to after i signed it they
went on there way and i was there alone later i had to wait almost 2 hours for a
ride later on when the alcohol wore off i began to remember that we had both
wanted to have sex and did with some role playing too and that afterwards he was
drunk and we got into a heated argument in which he was threating me and pulling
my hair so i called 911 he was also threating to slit his own throat now my
husband is charged with all these sex crimes that he didn't commit and nobody
will listen to me because of what i wrote when i was drunk and i didn't even
want to write it at the time nobody bothered to get my stament again whil i was
sober and my memory was good i do feel as though my husband should be punished
because he did hurt and scare me but however he didn't commit a sex crime also
after he was handcuffed he was put in a choke hold and punched in the head who
should i talk to over the way that this case was handled also should i have be
en made to go to the hospital or told that i had to go to the hospital and
should i have been made to write a statment while intoxicated? Thank You so much:confused::(

justalayman

Wow, all that with the exception of the last four words in one sentence.

Try getting rid of the emotional editorial and add some white space and sentence structure.

other than that;

hire an attorney.

One thing I did happen to see in there was that you believe he should be punished because he did hurt you but you do not believe it was a sex crime. Since you were in the act of having sex when he did these things that you do want him punished for; how do you see it as not being a sex crime?

outonbail

You also seem to remember, in great detail, what was said between you and the police, how long you were at the hospital waiting for a ride and what the police did to your husband while you were intoxicated.
So I'm not so sure your mind was all that fuzzy when you were providing details and signing statements for the police. Your probably realizing how expensive this legal matter is going to be and how being convicted of a sexual assault type of crime will impact your husband and realistically, both of you in the future.

Fortunately, or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it, this matter is out of your hands at this point and from what you've posted, they have all the evidence they need to convict your husband of the charges he's facing, without having to rely on your cooperation in court.
Wives and girlfriends change their minds in a majority of these domestic dispute type of cases, so over the years, the laws have been adjusted so that the courts can still protect battered women, whether they want to be or not.

If your husband really didn't do anything illegal, then you need to realize that the laws aren't to be used at someone's convenience, or to teach someone a lesson. Then when you believe they have learned that lesson, you can pull the plug and the charges will disappear. Or, that the DA will adjust the charges to your liking.

It just doesn't work that way,,,

CdwJava

I am sure his defense attorney will be more than happy to listen to you. Then, he will call you to the stand as a defense witness where you will tell the judge and the jury that you lied or were mistaken about the whole thing. In the end, your hubbie may walk out of jail, and you may be filling his cell when he leaves for filing a false report or lying to the police.

If you intend to testify to this sudden change of direction, I strongly recommend you speak to an attorney before taking the stand because it's very possible that you will be going to jail for him.

I am consistently amazed by women that are willing to go to jail to protect the man who is not willing to do the same thing ... it's a little one-sided, I'd say.

Good luck.

-Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">