• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Policy name not same as birth certificate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

amfmnsam

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

Without any official action, my name has changed from the one on my birth certificate to the one I have been using for nearly 30 years. My social security ID and passport are in the name, just a shortened version of the Catholic saint and a middle initial, not the full version on my birth certificate. I have couple of life insurance policies in the shortened name. How do I make sure my family will get my estate?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Dandy Don

Why has there been no "OFFICIAL" LEGAL action to change the name legally and why did you want to change it anyway? That can be done in a local family court for a few hundred dollars.

Are you a male or a female?

If you have any doubts about how it will be handled with the insurance company, you need to be discussing it with the agent or the company now. And also type up a document explaining everything about the name change and your correct identifying SSN and date of birth, address history, name of friends and relatives who can verify you story/identify you so that if you die the person who handles your estate matters will know about this very important aspect.

As long as you have identified your beneficiaries on the beneficiary designation form provided by your insurance company you don't have much to worry about.

ErinGoBragh

I don't honestly see how the insurance company is going to change the name on the policy without "official" documentation.

Dandy Don

I don't think she is asking the insurance company to change the name--perhaps she just wants the company to be aware of what the true name is just in case any questions may arise about the discrepancy, if there IS a discrepancy.

amfmnsam

Thanks for the responses.

I am male. I never "tried" to change my official name, I just only ever used the shortened version. What name goes on the death certificate and how does it get there?

Dandy Don

Does anyone in your immediate family know that you are using the shortened name or do they know what your name is as it appears on the birth certificate?

It is the beneficiary of your policy that needs to know about this matter you are using with the variations in name so the beneficiary can explain if need be the discrepancy and amongst your personal effects/papers, be sure to leave a few certified copies of your birth certificate so that the executor or whoever handles your personal affairs after you are gone can explain what has happened. Have you discussed this with the insurance company?

Don't you realize you are causing confusion by using the differing names? Name on your death certificate will most likely be the one that appears on your state driver's license or by whoever reports the death to the authorities.

If you have a last will and testament please be courteous enough to mention this discrepancy there it will help clear up any confusion.

Lass1

Name changes

Rather than attack anyone for wanting to change their name...
Do hire an attorney to formalize the change and document the multiple names by which you may be known, past or present. For example, after retiring to Puerto Rico, my father adopted the local practice of including his mother's name in his last name. This was never officially changed, but there were some accounts and materials with his mother's name, and as he died intestate (despite being married to a lawyer) we had some fun trying to convince people that this account was the same as the person on the death certificate.

Likewise you may have assets in your official name which may be bogged down if your unofficial name goes on a death certificate (by way of being what's on your ID perhaps). And remember that if you have orphan funds with old employers you would likely need to claim them under the original name. Now is time to clean it all up....unless you hate your heirs and want to torment them for a few years and let all the money go to your state to be squandered in perpetuity.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">