• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

possesion of home after voluntary abandonment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tam78

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey. my husband left our home and our 26 year marriage do to his mental illness/dr.prescribed pain meds addiction (he was in rehab for crack 13 years ago) it has been 7 months, he has not contributed to 1 cent of the bills, I am paying everything. I also maintain the home by myself as well, he has not been in the home since jan.(with police officer to get his things) for about 15 minutes.
I understand to file for ground of divorce he has to be gone for 12 months, but my question is..is he allowed to enter the home anytime he wishes? are their laws to protect myself and my belongings since he voluntary abandoned me?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey. my husband left our home and our 26 year marriage do to his mental illness/dr.prescribed pain meds addiction (he was in rehab for crack 13 years ago) it has been 7 months, he has not contributed to 1 cent of the bills, I am paying everything. I also maintain the home by myself as well, he has not been in the home since jan.(with police officer to get his things) for about 15 minutes.
I understand to file for ground of divorce he has to be gone for 12 months, but my question is..is he allowed to enter the home anytime he wishes? are their laws to protect myself and my belongings since he voluntary abandoned me?
You would probably need to file for legal separation and exclusive use of the marital home in order to be able to legally keep him out.

However, I would probably change the locks if I were in your shoes.

tam78

there isnt legal seperation in NJ, I did change the locks back in jan. (police officer suggestion) as I did have a temp.restraining order, but the judge dismissed a perm.one.
on sunday he continously called my home/cell for 2 hours and I had to call the police, they said since he left free and willingly he has no right to just enter the home since its been 7 months, so I dont know if that is correct or not. I do fear he will try to enter and steal things for money or maybe even hurt me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">