• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possible Suit of ISP

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



Recently friends of my son informed him that there was a website using his name stating that he was gay. Along with this they posted a photo of him and his e-mail address along with posting crude and slanderous cartoons depicting him at his job, sports participation, and personal relationships. My son is a minor (16) also the poster of this site is also a minor(17, what recourse do I have, and can I pursue legal actions against the other youth/parents and the ISP?
What responsibility if any does the ISP have in protecting the privacy of unknown victims of website slander?



Your son can sue the other minor for libel & defamation. He can also sue the parents (probably), because parents are liable for the intentional torts of their children. You probably can't sue the ISP unless the ISP knew of the site's contents & knew it was libelous/defamatory. Write the ISP & demand they take the site down. Enclose a copy of your complaint against the minor.

This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential