• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Post divorce property split

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rosie555

Hello,

I have been going through a divorce in WA state. My ex and I shared a condo in Colorado where he currently lives. He has transferred me my share of the property as part of this divorce. Now, I need to fill out the forms to indicate that this matter is closed and I have no interest in that property. What forms do I need to fill out in Colorado for this? BTW, the property is in Denver county in Colorado.

Thank you so much.

zddoodah

My ex and I shared a condo in Colorado
I assume this means that you jointly own(ed) this condo. Correct?

He has transferred me my share of the property as part of this divorce.
"The property" is the condo? Does this mean he paid you an agreed amount of money in exchange for you deeding your interest to him? If not, what does it mean?

Now, I need to fill out the forms to indicate that this matter is closed and I have no interest in that property.
What does "this matter is closed" mean?

What forms do I need to fill out in Colorado for this?
You're going to need to answer the questions I asked.

Rosie555

Yes he paid me my share of equity! What forms flr Colorado state do I fill out to say I have no interest and no association to that condo!

zddoodah

The way to transfer an interest in a piece of real property is with a deed. You'll need to consult with an attorney in Colorado about particular deed forms and anything else that may be necessary. The good news for you is that your husband already paid you, which was quite foolish without getting the executed deed at the time of payment. You might consider telling him that he should have his attorney prepare the deed and send it to you to be signed and notarized.

LdiJ

You should also be aware that if there is a mortgage on the property, and you are on the mortgage, then your divorce agreement does not absolve you of the mortgage. You will still be responsible for that unless he refinances the condo into just his name. Him paying you your share of the equity does not cancel your obligation under the mortgage contract. There is no "form" you can fill out to do that.

If there is no mortgage, then as you have already been told a quit claim deed is the normal way to go to remove your name from the deed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">