• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Postal insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

artmaker

I hope this is the right place to post.
Short story, I shipped a computer to a friend, bought the postal insurance, someone dropped the box causing damage and they have the gall to send me a 25.00 check. I get to appeal. Some advice on the best wording and what do I do if they turn it down is why I'm posting here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm in MI, my friend is in CA. I have an old imac and my friend is on a fixed income and his computer is dying. Nothing wrong with mine. I've just upgraded. But this old computer is fine. It's been upgraded a few times and everything works like a clock on it. Certainly good enough to check email, send pictures and listen to music which is all he wants to do.
So... I packed it up. Wanted to GIVE it to him. Still had the original box, just not the styrofoam it came with. But heck. I ship and pack things all the time. I know how to pack.
I wrapped it in oh, not bubble wrap, thinner. Some plastic that came around some other electronic stuff we bought. Then had styrofoam on the bottom. The box itself has a plywood base. I filled every space around this thing with bits of foam, and I took old cardboard boxes and cut them up, made sort of triangle shape tubes out of those. Stuffed them into every possible space. That computer was in the box TIGHT!
It was more than secure in the box and should have handled the trip just fine. For damage to occur on the bottom corner like it did, that box had to have been dropped. And from a fair hight too.

I got 300.00 worth of insurance. I've SEEN this exact computer in the paper for about that price so it was a good guess.

Well.... somewhere along the way, someone had to have dropped this heavy box.
The computer arrived with a huge hole in the plastic casing in the corner. Cracked all the way up. And bits of plastic have been falling out. All look like casing parts though, nothing that looks like a computer chip.
One speaker buzzes now probably because the mount was broken.
And.... at first my friend said the computer wasn't working right. But he's never used a mac so hard to tell. Well... my son walked him through how to check the insides and we found one of the memory chips was knocked loose. He fixed that and the computer itself seems to run just fine. Only the case is ruined.

So.... I filed a claim.
Now how to figure a price. The computer still works. BUT it's NOT in the condition it was when I paid over 50.00 to ship it!

I got pictures of the damage from him, found a very similar case on ebay for between 50 and 60 bucks.
Post office on my end said get an estimate from a repair shop. He went to a few in CA and ALL want between 75 and 100.00 just to LOOK at it! Just to walk in the door!
I also found prices of the same model computer and ALL were WAY above the 300.00 I put in the insurance. And.... since mine had a bigger HD and more memory added, all of those were not as good. I printed that out. Printed out the price of the case. Included the 100.00 just to find someone to look and added that this is just to get an estimate. I have no idea what they would charge to actually change the case. That should be done by someone who knows what they are doing since all of the important parts are attached to the case.
So... (rounding this all off now.) figure 100.00 to walk into a shop. 60.00 for the part. Guessing at least an hour to put it together, probably at 75.00 an hour. Again can't get a written estimate without shelling out that initial fee. Not to mention all the hassle of him hauling this thing around in CA.
And I'm not sure if the speaker is shot or if it's buzzing just because of the mount being broken.
I made the claim of my 300.00 and said adjust it as you see fit.

Well... they sent me a check for a whopping 25.00! I probably should have left out the part about "adjust as you see fit." I didn't think they would insult me with this!
So yes, I plan to appeal. And I'm guessing I only have one shot.

Any help with proper wording, and what happens when they deny it?
Has anyone ever dragged the Post office to small claims court? Is that even possible?

ecmst12

I would first call the insurance company and talk with the adjuster about it, then follow up with a letter.

FlyingRon

Insurance company? We're talking about the USPS here.
If it can be damaged by being dropped, then it wasn't packed properly.
You can guarantee that the post office is going to drop things.

From the domestic mail manual

Appealing a Claim Decision

A customer may appeal a claim decision by filing a written appeal to Domestic Claims Appeals, Accounting Services (see 608.8.0) within 60 days of the date of the original decision. A customer may also appeal a claim decision online through Redirect to the Online Insurance Claims if the original claim was filed online.

artmaker

Thanks for the replies,

I really asked for help in wording an appeal letter.

My thoughts are this;
The PO was contracted to deliver a box from point A to point B with "reasonable care" taken to not destroy the contents.
It WAS packed well enough to handle a short drop. A few inches. Should someone hold the box over a spot on the shelf and drop it, or it bounces in the back of some truck, the computer inside would have been fine. For the damage to occur, it HAD to have been dropped from say a standing position. Several feet. And this is negligence.
The fact that they sent me a check must mean they agree. If the argument were to be made that I simply didn't pack it well enough, they would have denied me all together right?
It's just the dollar amount that is in dispute here. And why is a mystery to me. I included pictures of the damage, print outs of the cost of the part, (that alone is twice what they gave me.) And wrote about the cost of just getting an estimate let alone the cost of actual repair.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dang, that sounds impressive right there. (I should have gone to law school. Might not be a starving artist.)

FlyingRon

The PO was contracted to deliver a box from point A to point B with "reasonable care" taken to not destroy the contents.
Not true. There's no such contract with the Post Office. They operate based on their regulations that describe the services they will offer you when they accept the item.
It WAS packed well enough to handle a short drop. A few inches. Should someone hold the box over a spot on the shelf and drop it, or it bounces in the back of some truck, the computer inside would have been fine. For the damage to occur, it HAD to have been dropped from say a standing position. Several feet. And this is negligence.
A few inches? You've got to be kidding. The DMM states dropped from 3 feet as the test.
The fact that they sent me a check must mean they agree. If the argument were to be made that I simply didn't pack it well enough, they would have denied me all together right?
Impossible to tell.

Last edited:

justalayman

and what was there as signs of damage on the packaging itself. If the computer was damaged and there was not obvious (and noted when received by your friend) damage, you are running uphill with your claim. Unless there was damage to the packaging, it is obvious you failed to pack it properly.

Not at all. They weigh their options and if it is cheaper to give you $25 than to argue the point, they give you the money and you go away.

It's just the dollar amount that is in dispute here. And why is a mystery to me. I included pictures of the damage, print outs of the cost of the part, (that alone is twice what they gave me.) And wrote about the cost of just getting an estimate let alone the cost of actual repair.
and yet, in all that you included, you never gave them a number of what your damages are. It is not up to them to determine your damages. It is up to the claimant. You gave them a number and said adjust as you see fit; well, they did so you really don't have anything to gripe about there.;)

Dang, that sounds impressive right there. (I should have gone to law school. Might not be a starving artist.)
but you might be a starving attorney with a couple hundred thousand in school debt.;)

artmaker

Not true. There's no such contract with the Post Office. They operate based on their regulations that describe the services they will offer you when they accept the item.

A few inches? You've got to be kidding. The DMM states dropped from 3 feet as the test.

Impossible to tell.
Hmmm. Three FEET?

Does the post office regularly DROP heavy expensive electronic devices?

As for damage to the box, yes the corner was crunched. It's my understanding though, my friend didn't notice it and didn't even open the box for a few days.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have a friend who happens to be a certified tech. Just contacted him to see if he, or if he knows any shop who could look at my pictures and give me some kind of written estimate. I think that's where I went wrong with this whole thing.

Thanks.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Hmmm. Three FEET?

Does the post office regularly DROP heavy expensive electronic devices?
Any delivery service regularly drops anything. It's just a fact of life.

As for damage to the box, yes the corner was crunched. It's my understanding though, my friend didn't notice it and didn't even open the box for a few days.
So, how does anybody know if the post office even CAUSED the damage? (That is said from a "Devil's Advocate" standpoint)

artmaker

Boy, it sure sounds to me like postal insurance is WORTHLESS!!!!
I was told that. This is the first time I ever had to use it.

We'll see how this appeal thing goes. I'm still hoping to find someone who can give me an official written estimate.

FlyingRon

Any delivery service regularly drops anything. It's just a fact of life.
I remember regularly going to the UPS service center with my parcels and each time the clerk would hold the box up about chest high and ask if it would be damaged if he dropped it from there.

Postal insurance doesn't obviate the need for you to pack things sufficiently. I've certainly made claims before and gotten the full insured value.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">