• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Posted order violation, should I fight it?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mrdrinker

Whoa whoa i'm the one in trouble here not you guys haha.

It very well might have been filed as an infraction because they gave me the option of paying up and not even making an appearance on the scheduled date. In California, you are required to make an appearance for Misdemeanors.

If it *was* filed as an infraction, I have no foot to stand on in my defense unless the signs are not in the right places (so I will definitely be checking that out). But other than that, if I don't have a Jury, or the very threat of such on a cash strapped judicial system, there's no point and I just have to pay up. (Or go to circuit court of appeals!!!! haha)

By the way, is there maximum penalty for an infraction? $500 seems excessive for drinking a beer down by the river (It's $220 for a speeding ticket).

mrdrinker

I'm sure you all have bigger fish to fry, but if you get a sec... I noticed that almost every city's municipal code in California has Title 14 marked as "Reserved". Does that mean it defers to title 14 of the California Code?

justalayman

I just looked at 6. 1 didn't have a chap 14, one listed as reserved, the other 4 listed titles of various areas

and it stating reserved simply means they have reserved that chapter to be used for some purpose. You would have to research it or ask the powers that be what they reserved it for.

mrdrinker

I just looked at 6. 1 didn't have a chap 14, one listed as reserved, the other 4 listed titles of various areas

and it stating reserved simply means they have reserved that chapter to be used for some purpose. You would have to research it or ask the powers that be what they reserved it for.
Mmmm good idea, thanks for the info. I'm going to keep researching and maybe ask city hall.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
This thread has been dead almost a year. The original poster is long gone.

If you have a question start your own thread.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">