• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

potential state & fed tax liability pa

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pac72

pa

worked for a slimeball ex employer..bounced payroll checks etc..
seeing he had no money to meet payroll..
wondering come tax time if he failed to pay state / fed taxes am i ultimately
liable for payment ?
i do have paystub showing deductions from my pay..

( i currently have case against him w pa dept of labor for payroll issues )

swalsh411

No. That is strictly an issue between the employer and the tax agency. You can file your taxes based on whatever is shown on your W-2. (or last pay stub if you do not receive one). Pay careful attention that your W-2 matches your last pay stub and is correct to the best of your knowledge. Sometimes employers who have failed to deposit all taxes during the year will reduce the withholding shown on the W-2.

FlyingRon

No. That is strictly an issue between the employer and the tax agency. You can file your taxes based on whatever is shown on your W-2. (or last pay stub if you do not receive one). Pay careful attention that your W-2 matches your last pay stub and is correct to the best of your knowledge. Sometimes employers who have failed to deposit all taxes during the year will reduce the withholding shown on the W-2.
More specifically, I'd be making sure I had an accounting of just what paychecks I was able to cash. The paystubs and W-2 may represent the amount of income *including* the stuff that bounced.

pac72

so...seeing this case will be into the new year. ( most likely )
that if i collect the $ due this would still be taxable for the current ( this yr )

what would be my option if i never recieve a w2 ? just turn him into irs/state ?

( footnote..he was just evicted from his rented shop )

i doubt ill ever see a penny..id just rather steer it towards big brother for further actions as the state and fed have way more time and resources toward
criminal/ civil penaltys than i do...

is it proper to ask advice for the most punitave actions i can generate ?:D

pac72

id like to state where things are at as of now

1-registered demand for payment of bounced check/iilegal deductions/nsf fees
sent to registered buisness address / shop address sent by neighborhood
legal service ( out of work and no uec )
2- case opened w pa dept of labor..had phone interview w investigator..
he will be getting all documentation on mon..
3- was evicted from his rented shop yesterday...my luck the pos ( supervisor now ) who talked me into working there. lives across the street from me..
and yes thats the newest location of the " buisness "

any thoughts on what my next recourse is in this mongolian cluster@^$k

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">