• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

prenump and divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lakejo

I live in Mo. and have been married 10 years. I had to sign a prenump. before we got married. He bought the house before we were married, was put in the papers I could not get the house if divorce came about, since then, my name has been put on the house. Approx 2 yrs. after we were married). It started out being a 2 bdrm. and is now a 5 bdrm in which I did most of the interior work ...drywall, paint, etc. He has been emotionally abusive for the last 9 yrs. We are going to be getting a divorce as I can't take it anymore....am I entitled to anything concerning the house? I have 2 boy's still at home ages 16 and 14. Can you tell me if the prenump still stands?:confused:

T

Teece

I'm in the same situation

I have a prenup, but I was lucky enough to have it worded that if I file for the divorce! I think he was just too stupid at the time to release. Also, my goes away in 7 years, which is the end of July. My husband sounds just like yours. Everything has or had to be in his name. My name was put on a couple of years after when we refinanced the house. I wish I could give you more advice. I could use some myself.

kat1963

Sounds to me that by placing you on the mtg (making you finanically responsible for the house) pretty much cancels out that part of the pre nup. What else is on it? Heck, the judge in my divorce refused to even look at the pre nup. My name wasn't even on the castle, but I would have gotten half (settle for less in order to spare my life).

KAT

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">