• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Prepaid Invoice for Raw Materials Undelivered for 6 Months

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

We are a CA corp that manufactures, wholesale and retails a specific nutritional product. We have had a supplier in Colorado providing us a key raw material for over 2 years. This key material is of critical importance for several specific products. Since 2016 we have placed many orders for the same material and received them in a timely manner. We always prepay an invoice with a wire transfer and delivery is generally in 2-4 weeks. We do not have a contract. We only prepay the invoice. The Invoice is e-signed by both parties.

In September 2018 we placed a phone order (with salesperson of 2 years). There was a delay of 3 weeks in getting us the invoice. The invoice was emailed for signatures (by E-Docs) in mid-October 2018 and clearly states a 10% discount that is specifically due to "Delay". This established an acknowledgment of delay in October. The $90,000 cost was promptly paid by wire transfer and delivery was planned for mid-November 2018. This date came and passed with no communication from the supplier. We have emails and texts from us, at the end of November, asking the status of the shipment. We have emails and texts from the supplier stating a new delivery date was being scheduled for mid-December. This date came and passed. From that time, every week we have been told (email, text, and phone) that there is a new delay of 1-2 weeks. There are over 50 emails and texts, all polite and professional, asking for status updates. We even flew from Los Angeles to their offices to meet face to face and were assured that the material would be delivered within days. That was nearly 2 weeks ago and my most recent reply, from the supplier yesterday, was "2 more weeks".

The supplier is fully aware of the importance of this material for our products. I have emails explaining to the supplier that because of this delay we have lost clients, cancelled trade shows, delayed expansion and hiring, cancelled marketing campaigns, lost a key sales person, stymied growth, and more.

This supplier (a privately owned company valued at $150,000,000) has always claimed that the material that they provide is the very best quality that can be found in the USA. We have built our brand on this "top quality". In addition, $90,000 is a big investment for us and it is not possible for us to just go find another supplier without this money. I say these things because we are bound to and dependent on this specific supply order. I have fully explained, by email, text and phone conversations to one of the supply company founders, who got involved directly in this matter in December, that we are suffering greatly due this this unfulfilled order.

It is important to explain that the nature of the material provides no reasonable explanation for this delay. Any single day, the production manager could have slotted this order to be produced, filled and delivered. This supplier is the largest in their industry and fills orders every day. There have been no company-wide excessive delays (floods, tornadoes, zombie apocalypse) since we placed our order.

Given this explanation can we successfully sue? If so how likely can we find an attorney to take this on contingency? What is the standard split for contingency? Can we seek damages for losses in excess of the $90,000? Are emails and text admissible? Given the blatant inexcusable negligence is it likely to receive additional damages including punitive damages in excess of $1,000,000 (our 2017 sales $165K, 2018 $370K, expected 2019 were suppose to be $800K-$1,400,000)? Do we have to sue in Colorado or can we sue in California? The company does not have a physical office in California.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Jeff

quincy

There has been no explanation for the delay in delivery?

Yes. You can sue. You might find the Colorado company challenging jurisdiction of a California court.

For the amount of money involved and the impact the delivery failure has had on your business, you should have an attorney.

Good luck.

adjusterjack

Jeff, I'm just speculating here but one explanation for the delay and all the assurances is that the company is going under and wants to delay lawsuits as long as it can while the owners feather their own nests with customers' money.

Check the bankruptcy court search page to see if the company has filed for bankruptcy protection.

https://www.pacer.gov/
If not, then consider buying a Dun and Bradstreet report to see if it can tell you anything.

https://www.dnb.com/
That this has been going on for 6 months certainly suggests that the people you are talking to are not telling you the truth.

I know that they have just brought on two big name executives to their board. They have also just expanded their facility, doubling capacity and hiring 200 more employees. They are also branching into Canada, building their first International facility there. Their trajectory has taken the company to industry leader in less than 10 years. A search finds no excessive negatives.

quincy

It is best to discover WHY there is a delay in shipment of your order, prior to filing any legal action.

If, for example, there is a worldwide shortage of the material you need, the delivery delay is caused by circumstances outside the control of your supplier.

You should consult with an attorney in your area for a review of all specifics.

Good luck.

There is no reason for the delay. This company primarily processes one raw material. Our order is for a further refined material which that are fully capable of making with facility equipment. They could be so busy processing the regular material that they do not want to create this further refined product, however, this is the order for which they were paid the $90,000. Any day in the past 6 month the production manager could have slotted this refinement and created this product.

quincy

There is no reason for the delay. This company primarily processes one raw material. Our order is for a further refined material which that are fully capable of making with facility equipment. They could be so busy processing the regular material that they do not want to create this further refined product, however, this is the order for which they were paid the $90,000. Any day in the past 6 month the production manager could have slotted this refinement and created this product.
Okay. In that case, file suit to recover the $90,000 and hope that you can find another company to fill the order now and in the future.

Again I recommend you speak to an attorney in your area.

I could have requested a refund long ago but 1- This is the only high quality supplier and 2- continuing to give the same trusted answer "ready in 2 weeks" never allowed us the truth that this was not being delivered which kept us in an ongoing waiting pattern.
Also, at this point I don't want just the $90,000. I want retribution if I can get it. This is what I am asking advice about.

These are my written question -

Given this explanation can we successfully sue? If so how likely can we find an attorney to take this on contingency? What is the standard split for contingency? Can we seek damages for losses in excess of the $90,000? Are emails and text admissible? Given the blatant inexcusable negligence is it likely to receive additional damages including punitive damages in excess of $1,000,000 (our 2017 sales $165K, 2018 $370K, expected 2019 were suppose to be $800K-$1,400,000)? Do we have to sue in Colorado or can we sue in California? The company does not have a physical office in California.

justalayman

Without a contract specifying a right to damages if the product is not delivered within some specified time period, all you are due is the product or if you demand to terminate the purchase agreement, a refund of your money. You do have the right to seek your supplies elsewhere. Failing to do so is your failure to mitigate your damages. Essentially, the issues you are having at your company are of your own doing.

If you want a guaranteed delivery with a penalty for failure, then put that in your purchase contract. Otherwise start your own production facility so you can produce product as it is needed.

adjusterjack

I know that they have just brought on two big name executives to their board. They have also just expanded their facility, doubling capacity and hiring 200 more employees. They are also branching into Canada, building their first International facility there. Their trajectory has taken the company to industry leader in less than 10 years. A search finds no excessive negatives.
Then my alternate speculation is that they are filling orders that amount to hundreds of thousands of dollars, maybe millions, for customers that are bigger and more powerful than you are.

Thus the drawbacks of relying on just one supplier.

Given this explanation can we successfully sue? If so how likely can we find an attorney to take this on contingency? What is the standard split for contingency? Can we seek damages for losses in excess of the $90,000? Are emails and text admissible? Given the blatant inexcusable negligence is it likely to receive additional damages including punitive damages in excess of $1,000,000 (our 2017 sales $165K, 2018 $370K, expected 2019 were suppose to be $800K-$1,400,000)? Do we have to sue in Colorado or can we sue in California?
All of those questions are better put to an attorney. Start local and review your options. I wouldn't count much on contingency or punitive damages. I agree with Justalayman on his comments.

quincy

I could have requested a refund long ago but 1- This is the only high quality supplier and 2- continuing to give the same trusted answer "ready in 2 weeks" never allowed us the truth that this was not being delivered which kept us in an ongoing waiting pattern.
Also, at this point I don't want just the $90,000. I want retribution if I can get it. This is what I am asking advice about.

These are my written question -

It could be possible for you to sue in California (this depends on the company's presence in your state) and you can sue in Colorado. The state where the company is located is often the best choice but it will mean you must have an attorney licensed to practice in Colorado to help with your legal action.

I see no lawsuit available for you to pursue other than one which seeks to recover from the company the money you paid in advance for the order that remains unfilled.

See an attorney in your area.

My wife spent 30 year in a practice specializing in mergers and acquisitions. I have a scheduled appoint with her boss next week. I just thought that I would fish for other thoughts and opinions. He is a litigator and he say there is a clear basis to sue because -
There is a signed agreement (signed invoice) to perform with moneys paid.
There is written evidence from a key sales person to the operations manager to the company founder.
There is no reasonable excuse for such an egregious delay.
There are legitimate losses beyond the $90,000 cause by the supplier's delay.
The company claims that their product is superior to ever other, thus difficult to exchange for a similar product. (This claim may ultimately be proven false)
The company has had the ability to fulfill the order.

I don't know anything but as a layman I would expect the law to protect the honest and punish abuse. Getting $90,000 back is far from justice. From what I am hearing I won't even be able to collect the attorney fees that I pay to get a judgment.

adjusterjack

The state where the company is located is often the best choice but it will mean you must have an attorney licensed to practice in Colorado to help with your legal action.
Maybe not. A California attorney might be permitted by a Colorado court to act "pro hac vice" (on a one time basis).

Although paying the California attorney's travel costs and travel time is certainly something to think about.

I would expect the law to protect the honest and punish abuse.
In theory.

"In theory, theory and practice are the same.
If practice, they aren't."
(Yogi Berra)

Getting $90,000 back is far from justice.
Better than nothing.

From what I am hearing I won't even be able to collect the attorney fees that I pay to get a judgment.
That's right.

To win attorney fees, you need a written contract with an attorney fee provision. Another drawback - doing business without written contracts.

Last edited:

quincy

My wife spent 30 year in a practice specializing in mergers and acquisitions. I have a scheduled appoint with her boss next week. I just thought that I would fish for other thoughts and opinions. He is a litigator and he say there is a clear basis to sue because -
There is a signed agreement (signed invoice) to perform with moneys paid.
There is written evidence from a key sales person to the operations manager to the company founder.
There is no reasonable excuse for such an egregious delay.
There are legitimate losses beyond the $90,000 cause by the supplier's delay.
The company claims that their product is superior to ever other, thus difficult to exchange for a similar product. (This claim may ultimately be proven false)
The company has had the ability to fulfill the order.

I don't know anything but as a layman I would expect the law to protect the honest and punish abuse. Getting $90,000 back is far from justice. From what I am hearing I won't even be able to collect the attorney fees that I pay to get a judgment.
All of that is understood. You appear to have a legal action over the amount paid for materials not delivered. You can request attorney fees.

It is good that you will be seeking a personal review by an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">