• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Price of House Plans (California)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

oohlalaw

This pertains to Madera County, California. A builder is asking for nearly $11,000 to use existing house plans (created for another home he built some years ago). The plans can be modified/customized but are fairly close to the desired outcome. It’s for a ranch home, 2800 sq ft. Is this a fair price or does it seem excessive? I realize it can vary and mentioned the county as home prices there are moderate compared to areas like SF, SoCal, wine country, etc. Thanks for any input or leads.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
This pertains to Madera County, California. A builder is asking for nearly $11,000 to use existing house plans (created for another home he built some years ago). The plans can be modified/customized but are fairly close to the desired outcome. It’s for a ranch home, 2800 sq ft. Is this a fair price or does it seem excessive? I realize it can vary and mentioned the county as home prices there are moderate compared to areas like SF, SoCal, wine country, etc. Thanks for any input or leads.
Sorry, yours is not a legal question.

FlyingRon

Architectural services typically run 10% of estimated construction price. Of course, everything is negotiable.
Hopefully he has the rights to use those plans that he wants to sell you.

oohlalaw

Architectural services typically run 10% of estimated construction price. Of course, everything is negotiable.
Hopefully he has the rights to use those plans that he wants to sell you.
Interesting about the 10% figure, thanks.

I am fairly certain he has the rights to use the plans. He works with one architect, and that architect will make modifications to the plans.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">