• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pro Se advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

J. Friedman

What is the name of your state? COlorado

I was issued a summons by an irate and tired store security person. The police report is wrong. I pleaded NOT GUILTY. I have had the pre-trial, and now have a trial date next month. I want to file a petition to dismiss this case. What can I do?

HomeGuru

J. Friedman said:
What is the name of your state? COlorado

I was issued a summons by an irate and tired store security person. The police report is wrong. I pleaded NOT GUILTY. I have had the pre-trial, and now have a trial date next month. I want to file a petition to dismiss this case. What can I do?
**A: you can file the petition like you want to do.

J

J. Friedman

Thanks, but are there any other steps I should do first?

J

J. Friedman

I'm not trying to be silly, although I love a smile, too. But, I was aprehended in a store for shoplifting. I wasn't. I had some things on me, but I had dropped them off, as I went out for fresh air. I didn't get out the door when two irate (they were pissed because I took so long to shop and they wanted to go home!) never even let me get to the door.

I had asked the lady at the front door to watch my basket, and as I walked to the door, and even though I had some things in my purse, long story, but they knew I had returned those little things throughout the shopping time. (They also asked me to empty my pockets....there was nothing in them..)

I pleaded not guilty at the arraignment, and asked for a trial at the pretrial conference. I really don't want to go to trial, and I think that the lack of evidence, and other circumstances mean that I just want to ask for a dismissal, or whatever else I can do, without plea-bargaining, which will still give me a record...I don't want a record..I am innocent. Enough of the story??

Hey, I do appreciate anything you suggest, and I know it is just general advice, but that is OK, too.

HomeGuru

J. Friedman said:
I'm not trying to be silly, although I love a smile, too. But, I was aprehended in a store for shoplifting. I wasn't. I had some things on me, but I had dropped them off, as I went out for fresh air. I didn't get out the door when two irate (they were pissed because I took so long to shop and they wanted to go home!) never even let me get to the door.

I had asked the lady at the front door to watch my basket, and as I walked to the door, and even though I had some things in my purse, long story, but they knew I had returned those little things throughout the shopping time. (They also asked me to empty my pockets....there was nothing in them..)

I pleaded not guilty at the arraignment, and asked for a trial at the pretrial conference. I really don't want to go to trial, and I think that the lack of evidence, and other circumstances mean that I just want to ask for a dismissal, or whatever else I can do, without plea-bargaining, which will still give me a record...I don't want a record..I am innocent. Enough of the story??

Hey, I do appreciate anything you suggest, and I know it is just general advice, but that is OK, too.
**A: I do not truly believe that you are innocent of the charges.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Simple. People don't get arrested and have the cops called to the store unless they're found to have stolen goods on them. And, I don't buy the "Fresh air" excuse. The air in stores is better than outside air - - it's called air conditioning.

If, as you say, you didn't have anything on you, then what was the reason for your arrest? Because they didn't like you?

IAAL

J

J. Friedman

I am sorry you think I am not telling the truth, and I don't expect that I should try to convince you, (considering that this is not that kind of forum.)

However, I must first tell you that I was not arrested. I was served a summons.

If you think I was making up the stuff about the fresh air, why would I leave my stuff in my basket at the front door and ask a person there to watch it for me? It happened to be late winter, and I have lots of medical problems and medications, and sometimes I just get over whelmed with heat, etc. Ask anyone who knows me. I am 60, so we have strange temperature "clocks" as we get older.

I am planning on calling the lady at the front of the store, and I do know her name, as a witness, as she will recognize me, and knew that I was a frequent shopper. She also responded to my request to watch the basket.

As I say, I can't convince you, I guess. But, I absolutely stick by what I said. If you think Iwould try to walk out of a store with $19.14 worth of merchandise and leave my good jacket and the drink I must always have, in the store, that doesn't make sense. I hope this clarifys things, but if not, thanks a lot for your time, thoughts and advice.

Last edited:
J

J. Friedman

By the way, what's with the clock on this site? It says it is something like 11:30PM and it isn't even 4:30 here in Denver.

HomeGuru

J. Friedman said:
By the way, what's with the clock on this site? It says it is something like 11:30PM and it isn't even 4:30 here in Denver.
**A: oh brother, not that website time issue again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">