• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pro se in settlement of construction defect case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Buk1000

What is the name of your state? OK

My spouse and I are pro se in a construction defect case. We had actual damages, mostly repair costs, that we and the other parties reached an agreement on. The formalities of settlement are to occur this week. We have arranged for an attorney to review the settlement releases before we sign, make sure the lawsuit is dismissed correctly, etc, but he does not represent us in this case, he's being paid hourly, just for the actual settlement procedings. Anyone have any caveats, advice, suggestions to make this go smoothly? Any suprises to watch out for? Thanks in advance!

HomeGuru

Buk1000 said:
What is the name of your state? OK

My spouse and I are pro se in a construction defect case. We had actual damages, mostly repair costs, that we and the other parties reached an agreement on. The formalities of settlement are to occur this week. We have arranged for an attorney to review the settlement releases before we sign, make sure the lawsuit is dismissed correctly, etc, but he does not represent us in this case, he's being paid hourly, just for the actual settlement procedings. Anyone have any caveats, advice, suggestions to make this go smoothly? Any suprises to watch out for? Thanks in advance!

**A: the attorney should be able to advise you unless one of his/her specialty is not construction defect litigation.

Buk1000

update

Oklahoma.

Had atty review settlement agreements and there was nothing we didn't understand, everything looked ok. Only prob is that they accepted our counteroffer May 20, said "the check is in the mail," and we don't have payment yet. Payment is coming from builder's insurance co in part and this is the check that's late. Ins co's lawyer is now out of town. How long is reasonable to wait? We will have to file a motion to reopen the case if they don't pay. Other than the atty that we pd to review the settlement agreements, we are still pro se. Any advice such as how long this normally takes, what recourse is open to us if they don't pay, etc, appreciated.

lwpat

My experience with insurance companies is four to six weeks. There should have been an adjuster and you can check with him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">