• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Probate problem NJ

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

annie128

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

I not sure if I will explain this right. My dad passed away and my sister was executer. My dad was in debt over 30k and used his credit card to pay one another (I had posted last year about this debt and responsibilty to children if he was to die). She probated the will because she had to close out his bank account that had about 1,000 in it and to stop his Social Security check. My dad (R.I.P.) did not have enough to bury himself so it cost me and my sister 3k to finish burying him. Since she probated the will the creditors think that my dad had an estate. The creditors filed a claim with the court. Now I need to know how do we go about getting this case closed without putting out more money or taking time off of work. Thank you for all your help.

Ann:confused:

BlondiePB

annie128 said:
What is the name of your state? New Jersey

I not sure if I will explain this right. My dad passed away and my sister was executer. My dad was in debt over 30k and used his credit card to pay one another (I had posted last year about this debt and responsibilty to children if he was to die). She probated the will because she had to close out his bank account that had about 1,000 in it and to stop his Social Security check. My dad (R.I.P.) did not have enough to bury himself so it cost me and my sister 3k to finish burying him. Since she probated the will the creditors think that my dad had an estate. The creditors filed a claim with the court. Now I need to know how do we go about getting this case closed without putting out more money or taking time off of work. Thank you for all your help.

Ann:confused:
Probate administration and burial costs come first; therefore, have your sister reimburse whatever money was closed from the bank account and pay yourselves. The creditors can bite rocks.

annie128

How do I go about the court

I need to get this court case closed I have a case number and want to know what to do next. Do I have to wait till they send a notice or do I have to persue the case. One of the creditors filed it. And also what about when sell off the account to collectors and I get their calls should I take their information and then inform them that if they call again I would consider it as harassment. Thanks Ann

Last edited:

BlondiePB

annie128 said:
I need to get this court case closed I have a case number and want to know what to do next. Do I have to wait till they send a notice or do I have to persue the case. One of the creditors filed it. And also what about when sell off the account to collectors and I get their calls should I take their information and then inform them that if they call again I would consider it as harassment. Thanks Ann
Read your state statutes and get a book on how to do probate. After the executor opens an estate account, reimburse you and sis for the funeral and inform the creditor(s) that the estate is bankrupt and that they can bite rocks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">