• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Probation / Non-compete

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

Probation

I was just notified that my co. (headquartered in PA) is sending "probation letters" to everyone who is not 90% of quota for the year. In my division that is 6 out of 7 salespeople - myself included. My boss told me to expect the letter tomorrow, sign, and return to him immediately. Will signing this letter affect my unemployment benefits should I be let go at the end of the probation period? ALso, I signed a non-compete w/ this co. Can they enforce if I am terminated? What if I resign? For future reference, is it possible to NOT sign a non-compete without raising eyebrows?

T

Tyrone

Not making quota is not a reason to be denied unemployment. And no, don't quit as that is a reason for no unemployment.

As for the non-compete, a professional would ahve to read it and understand your state's laws to answer. And yes, if companies demand one, unless you have great negotitaing power, they will insist on it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">