• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Problem with roommate and Land Lord

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rhewyn

I was living in Dayton, WA doing construction work on a wind farm being built there and I rented an apartment for 655.00 per month with a 655.00 security deposit to be given within one day of the rent being paid for the first month. I found a roommate and he agreed to pay half the rent when he got paid (he was working the same job I was). 3 days later I get laid off and my roommate says he is going to be moving out and that he would stay till the end of the month. I was okay with that as long as he made sure that I got my full security deposit back and that he would send me the half rent that he owed me. That was July 3rd it's now August 5th and when I call him asking about the rent he says he will pay it at the end of this month. Do I have a small claims case or not?

Second when I gave my 20 day notice to the landlord he replied saying that my roommate had found another roommate and was staying at the apartment and that I was off the lease completely. He told me that until his security check cleared with the bank that he would not send me my security check. The reason I question this is because why is it my problem when I am off the contract completely? Shouldn't my security check have been sent back to me before the other man was able to live there or even make a new contract with the landlord?

any help would be appreciated....

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I was living in Dayton, WA doing construction work on a wind farm being built there and I rented an apartment for 655.00 per month with a 655.00 security deposit to be given within one day of the rent being paid for the first month. I found a roommate and he agreed to pay half the rent when he got paid (he was working the same job I was). 3 days later I get laid off and my roommate says he is going to be moving out and that he would stay till the end of the month. I was okay with that as long as he made sure that I got my full security deposit back and that he would send me the half rent that he owed me. That was July 3rd it's now August 5th and when I call him asking about the rent he says he will pay it at the end of this month. Do I have a small claims case or not?

Second when I gave my 20 day notice to the landlord he replied saying that my roommate had found another roommate and was staying at the apartment and that I was off the lease completely. He told me that until his security check cleared with the bank that he would not send me my security check. The reason I question this is because why is it my problem when I am off the contract completely? Shouldn't my security check have been sent back to me before the other man was able to live there or even make a new contract with the landlord?

any help would be appreciated....
If you had a written contract, then any other agreement is off the table if it included the part(ies) of the written contract.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">