• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Problems with a Buyer's Agent on Code Issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Souix

What is the name of your state? Oregon

I am representing the seller of a very nice split level home on 3 acres. The home was built in 1977 and has a well and septic. The buyers had their inspections and came back with the fact that they wanted the seller to bring attic insulation and the electrical to the pumps at the septic up to current code. The house is presently up to 1977 code on everything. The seller doesn't feel that they need to bring those items up to current code and considers this to be an unnecessary upgrade. If buyers wanted a new house they should have bought a new house.

In the meantime I checked with a lender that I use almost 100% and she said that the house does not have to be up to current code, but an appraiser will pass it if the house is up to code for the time it was built. She said the seller does not have to do these things if they don't want to and a loan can still be obtained.

When I spoke to the buyer's agent this evening she said, (and I quote) "Older homes that are not up to current code either have to be upgraded to current code to be priced at fair market value. If they are not up to code, then they should be priced at the market price for when they were built". Is this BS or what?

Souix

--PARIDISE-- said:
If you are a licensed real estate agent, how do you not know this?

***Well I think I do know it, but we don't know everything. I learn something everyday, like how long a well purification test is honored by a lender. I had to call about that one. We aren't appraisers or lenders so when it comes to things like this, we learn from them. Not the other way around. We are basically at their mercy. So does anyone have the answer?*** :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">