• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Promissory Note confusion

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aleksandor52

What is the name of your state? CA
I refinanced in early 2003 with a bank who then sold the loan to another mortgage company. Sometime in Feb or March, 2003, I was twice sent a form to sign regarding a 'lost or misplaced' promissory note. Assuming the lenders knew what they were doing I simply signed the forms, (though thinking it a bit odd it had to be done twice) and sent them back. Fast forward to this year. Wife asked for divorce and in process found out only my signature was on the Note. Wife accusing me of getting her removed from the Note and claims to have an Affidavit of Lost or Misplaced Promissory Note as proof. I called lender loan was sold to, they have no record of this alleged affidavit. I got copy of the Note from lender, everything looks fine, nothing that this is a replacement for anything. Both wife and my names are on the Title and Deed. Bank said reason she was probably not allowed to sign the Note is her credit is so bad they could not have allowed as low of an interest rate as they did. Wife of course is claiming criminal intent on my part. Any ideas what's going on? Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">