• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Properties outside USA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bali Hai

They DID use the same method I used. They went to court and said "either you provide information on your assets or you go to jail".

The difference is that in my case, my ex provided the information. In the case you cited, the guy preferred to go to jail.

It was his choice. if his investment really lost $2.5 M overnight, he should have been able to provide evidence of that. Would you rather sit in jail than provide a copy of your statement showing that you lost $2.5 M? I sure wouldn't. I've have the evidence in the judge's hands that day --- assuming his story were true, of course. In this case, the guy apparently never provided any evidence to back up his claim. He simply stated that the investment lost money - with no documentation.
IF this man is hiding that money and is willing to die in jail rather than see his ex-wife get any of it, how does keeping him in jail benefit the ex-wife???

Wouldn't the smart thing to do is let him have his freedom and actually "CATCH" him with the money??

IF the judges are so damn SURE that he is hiding this money, then let him go free and simply order the man to pay what would be her share of it???

I better shutup about this now, I'm know I'm making too much damn sense!!

mistoffolees

IF this man is hiding that money and is willing to die in jail rather than see his ex-wife get any of it, how does keeping him in jail benefit the ex-wife???

Wouldn't the smart thing to do is let him have his freedom and actually "CATCH" him with the money??

IF the judges are so damn SURE that he is hiding this money, then let him go free and simply order the man to pay what would be her share of it???

I better shutup about this now, I'm know I'm making too much damn sense!!
I see. So your view is that he should be able to ignore the judge's orders with impunity. The court can only do so much. if he has resources hidden overseas, how is a US police force going to catch him?

And how are they going to order him to pay her share if they don't know how much her share is?

He's hiding assets and refuses to divulge them. He deserves to rot in jail until he gives the court the information they need.

All he has to do to get out is to prove to the court that he really lost $2.5 M on a $5 K investment like he claimed. If he provides the information they requested, he'd be free today.

Bali Hai

I see. So your view is that he should be able to ignore the judge's orders with impunity. The court can only do so much. if he has resources hidden overseas, how is a US police force going to catch him?

And how are they going to order him to pay her share if they don't know how much her share is?

He's hiding assets and refuses to divulge them. He deserves to rot in jail until he gives the court the information they need.

All he has to do to get out is to prove to the court that he really lost $2.5 M on a $5 K investment like he claimed. If he provides the information they requested, he'd be free today.
Well it's clear that he simply is not going to provide the information IF there is any, and, the ex-wife is SOL IF there is any money!! So he is in jail and they BOTH lose!!

mistoffolees

Well it's clear that he simply is not going to provide the information IF there is any, and, the ex-wife is SOL IF there is any money!! So he is in jail and they BOTH lose!!
So let's let all the criminals go free. After all, it's not doing the murder victims any good to have their murderer in jail.

At least in this case, he has the option to provide the information the court requested to get himself out of jail - and benefit the other person. It's his own choice that's keeping him in jail.

Bali Hai

So let's let all the criminals go free. After all, it's not doing the murder victims any good to have their murderer in jail.

At least in this case, he has the option to provide the information the court requested to get himself out of jail - and benefit the other person. It's his own choice that's keeping him in jail.
I would rather ten criminals go free than to put one innocent man in jail. And that is exactly what these pro-wife judges have done!!

Bali Hai

Bali dear, your bra strap is showing.
I don't see how this is possible, I burned all my bras back in the seventies!!;)

My point here is that if this were a criminal case, that man would be walking free today and would NEVER have spent one day in jail. But since this is a case where people "think" he has committed something wrong and it involves hiding money from a woman's grubby hands, he has spent over TEN YEARS in jail!!

Last edited:

mistoffolees

My point here is that if this were a criminal case, that man would be walking free today and would NEVER have spent one day in jail. But since this is a case where people "think" he has committed something wrong and it involves hiding money from a woman's grubby hands, he has spent over TEN YEARS in jail!!
Sorry, but you're wrong. You can go to jail for refusing to answer a judge's or attorney's question in criminal cases, as well.

Note that he's not in court because of the money. He's in court for refusing to answer the court's demands. That applies regardless of the type of trial, the gender of the person, or anything else.

Bali Hai

Sorry, but you're wrong. You can go to jail for refusing to answer a judge's or attorney's question in criminal cases, as well.

Note that he's not in court because of the money. He's in court for refusing to answer the court's demands. That applies regardless of the type of trial, the gender of the person, or anything else.
Is he in jail because he didn't answer the courts demands or is it because the court didn't like his answer???:rolleyes:

Over ten years in jail is quite harsh because the judges don't like his answer!!

mistoffolees

Is he in jail because he didn't answer the courts demands or is it because the court didn't like his answer???:rolleyes:

Over ten years in jail is quite harsh because the judges don't like his answer!!
Good thing that's not why he's in jail.

He was asked to provide evidence that the $2.5 M was gone. He declined to do so. Case closed.

Bali Hai

Good thing that's not why he's in jail.

He was asked to provide evidence that the $2.5 M was gone. He declined to do so. Case closed.

He provided an answer and they didn't like that answer and threw him in jail. Society approves of this because a "woman" is thought to have been wronged.

They abused their power in doing so and one day these people who applaud throwing people in jail on a whim just may regret that!!

Case closed!!

mistoffolees

CASE CLOSED!!!...for now and the forseeable future.
What does that have to do with your claim that he gave the court a response - when the article says he never even showed up for the hearing?

Oh, I get it. That's your way of running away. I thought you said you always admitted it when you made a mistake?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">