• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property damaged by tenant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



I am hoping you can help me. I have a question regarding an incident that involved the garage of my former landlord. I was living in an apartment in a 3-family home. During the time that I had resided there, I had melted 3-4 slats of the garage vinyl siding with my gas grill. After moving out, I received a statement of damages from my landlord. The statement was a bill for approximately $1100. He subtracted the $600 security deposit and billed me for the remainder, $472.00, to have the entire side of the garage resided. I sent my contractor out to the residence for an estimate of damages. He explained to me the reason why my landlord was billing me for the entire side of the garage. The siding that is currently on the garage and the house is very old and they do not make that type or color of siding any longer. There is not even something close to the siding that is on the garage/house.

My question is am I responsible for residing the entire side of the garage OR just repairing the damaged slats. (My thinking is this: If I bang up your 1982 car, I don't pay you for damages to a 2000 year vehicle. I pay the book value of the 1982 car.)
What are my rights and how do I express this to my landlord?
I appreciate any input you have on this sensitive matter.


Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential