• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property manager owes us money, need help with small claims court filing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zoelee

Nobody on this forum knows this guy. How are we supposed to know if he will retaliate in some way?

Just because someone exercises a right doesn't make them a threat.
Thanks, I know this is my personal impression on him. Totally subjective.

This reminded me another thing: when one tenant emailed me and said she wanted to end the contract prematurely due to his negligence and demanded her deposit back, she said he asked for 2 months' security deposit from her (this was with the previous owner, he was also his PM). But he only forwarded us one month rent as the deposit when we closed on this property 1.5 years ago.

My tenant said she keeps the payment receipts to prove it. Assuming she does have the proof, who will be the plaintiff if we go to court? My tenant or me? Or us jointly?

I know this is a mess, and I feel dumb getting ourselves into this situation. Definitely a learning experience.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
My tenant said she keeps the payment receipts to prove it. Assuming she does have the proof, who will be the plaintiff if we go to court? My tenant or me? Or us jointly?
SHE will be the plaintiff. YOU will be the defendant.

zoelee

SHE will be the plaintiff. YOU will be the defendant.
i have the check from the PM to show I only have one month of rent. the contract the tenant signed also states one month of rent. If I'm the defendant, I don't think she will have a case. Her payment is to him, not us.

Zigner

i have the check from the PM to show I only have one month of rent. the contract the tenant signed also states one month of rent. If I'm the defendant, I don't think she will have a case. Her payment is to him, not us.
He's your agent, the payment was to you, through him.

zoelee

He's your agent, the payment was to you, through him.
his check to us was noted "deposit" and the address. it's one month, not two. will that be enough evidence? plus the leasing agreement says "one month rent security deposit".

Zigner

his check to us was noted "deposit" and the address. it's one month, not two. will that be enough evidence? plus the leasing agreement says "one month rent security deposit".
You've got a mess on your hands. I'm sorry, but I think an attorney may be in your future.

zoelee

We all appreciate the thanks, zoelee, so thank you.

I hope all can be resolved for you without too much difficulty.

Good luck.
This might be a silly question: should I send the demand letter to his business address, or personal residence?

His business address is a rent POBox at a commercial office. I asked the clerk how the PObox owner receives certified mail with a return receipt requested, they said they'll sign for the POBox owner. Not sure if this is good enough. He might deny reception of the letter.

quincy

This might be a silly question: should I send the demand letter to his business address, or personal residence?

His business address is a rent POBox at a commercial office. I asked the clerk how the PObox owner receives certified mail with a return receipt requested, they said they'll sign for the POBox owner. Not sure if this is good enough. He might deny reception of the letter.
You can do both.

STEPHAN

Just some thoughts.

The LLC could be registered in a different state.

Check if he has a license to manage property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">