• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Chris Sanborn

I recently got divorced in Oct 99 but in the divorce agreement I am responsible for my ex wifes car. The loan is soley in my name. I bought the car when we were married but I also bought the car 6 months before our separation. I since ran into financial troubles to pay for it. I would like to sell it to clear that loan. My question is, can I do that? The car is registered in her name only. HELP!!!! They are going to reposses it! If that is the case, can I then sell it private sale after I pay the past due balance? I live in New Hampshire

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Chris Sanborn said:
I recently got divorced in Oct 99 but in the divorce agreement I am responsible for my ex wifes car. The loan is soley in my name. I bought the car when we were married but I also bought the car 6 months before our separation. I since ran into financial troubles to pay for it. I would like to sell it to clear that loan. My question is, can I do that? The car is registered in her name only. HELP!!!! They are going to reposses it! If that is the case, can I then sell it private sale after I pay the past due balance? I live in New Hampshire
My response:

Since the car is in her name, and the debt is in your name, there's nothing you can do unless she's willing to relinquish the car to you, to sell it.

However, the bigger problem for you is that you were ordered to pay for the car by a judge. If that car is not being paid off by you, and it's eventually repossessed, then you're in contempt of court. She can then drag you into court and have you explain to the judge why you are violating a court order. Expect heavy fines, and possibly a weekend or more in jail.

This is what can happen when you violate court orders.

If I were you, I'd get the money real quick, and pay off that car. Then, you're on your own with the new loan.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">