• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Protective Order needed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

momxthree

What is the name of your state? Louisiana

If a NCP threatens suicide (more than once and to multiple people), would that be enough to warrant supervised visitation or temporary suspension of visitation until that person gets the help that they need? Or maybe at least a psychiatric evaluation to determine whether or not that person is a risk to themselves and/or the children? OR a protective order??

Last edited:

momxthree

Thank you Ohiogal...

for responding. I was hoping you would.
NCP currently has an order for summer visitation. However, he is no longer employed and no longer living at the address that he gave the courts. Given the circumstances he has found himself in, I doubt that he will be able to exercise his parenting time. BUT..he has every right to, this I understand. I am afraid for him but more for the children IF he does attempt to excercise that right. He has threatened to 'hurt' himself on a number of occasions in conversations to me and to members of his family. Everything that I can find about 'reasons' for a protective order are about violence and sexual abuse. I haven't been able to find anything about 'suicide'.

ps.. Aren't you home with a new born? If so, THANK you so much for responding... you no doubt have your hands FULL!!!

Gracie3787

What is the name of your state? Louisiana

If a NCP threatens suicide (more than once and to multiple people), would that be enough to warrant supervised visitation or temporary suspension of visitation until that person gets the help that they need? Or maybe at least a psychiatric evaluation to determine whether or not that person is a risk to themselves and/or the children? OR a protective order??
Do you have PROOF (witnesses other than yourself, emails, letters, etc) of his suicidal threats?

If you do, you will be well within your rights to file for a temporary modification of the visitation order. Basically, bring it before a Judge and see what the Judge says. Hopefully the Judge will at the least require NCP to be evaluated by a mental health professional.

momxthree

proof...

All I have is him telling me, his mother and his 10 year old daughter. His mother has said that she would testify but I do NOT want to subject my daughter to that... even in a judge's chambers. Obviously, I would if it was a last resort (in order to keep her safe) but I sure do not want to!!!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What you want is not a restraining order but to file an emergency order for suspension of visitation rights due to NCP's unstable mental state and bring his mom to court to testify. Ask the court if they can suspend visitation or make it supervised by his mother until NCP completes counseling/treatment for his suicidal thoughts. Your daughter would not be pulled in to court to testify. If necessary a GAL would be appointed to talk to her and then testify to the court as to what would be in her best interest.

momxthree

Thank YOU!!

Thank you both for your responses.
I know where to start now. Again, thanks! And hope that everyone had a wonderful Mother's Day!!

Gracie3787

Thank you both for your responses.
I know where to start now. Again, thanks! And hope that everyone had a wonderful Mother's Day!!
You're welcome.:) Yes, I had a wonderful Mother's day- my hubby fixed a wonderful meal for my Mom and I- AND cleaned all the dishes too.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">