• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Prove up hearing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Skiprivera

Riverside County, California RIC1707963

My friend Mike is in prison. He sued someone over a real estate deal and they never showed up in court. Judgement was entered on 12-1-17 and now the court asked for a prove up hearing...it was supposed to be yesterday.

Anyway, Mike called the courthouse, room 12, and got an answering machine so he just told them he was available for the hearing and gave the phone number provided by his "correctional counselor" who made the call for him.

So I checked the computer tonight and a column next to the hearing dare/time reads, "taken under submission". What does that mean? Mike was available for hearing but nobody else was. Will his case be dismissed?
Taken Under Submission
Minutes

Mike's whole intent in this $366k suit is to protect the $116k in excess funds that came from the 2017 sale of his land at tax auction. Funds get dispursed in January and he's afraid the defendant is trying to claim that money using the fraudulent quitclaim deed she recorded against Mike's land.

Any help would be great. I really want to help him put an end to this because he's worked on it for so long.

quincy

You can best help your friend Mike by advising him to get an attorney who can handle legal matters for him while he is in prison.

Skiprivera

I decided to just hire a lawyer for him on Monday. Any suggestions for one that can do just the prove up hearing...at around $5k?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
This is not an attorney referral service.

You can get information about attorney referrals from your local bar association.

Skiprivera

This is not an attorney referral service.

You can get information about attorney referrals from your local bar association.
Ok back to the "free advice" in the. Com: is the "take under submission" thing a problem? I mean, according to the prison, Mike was at the hearing but the judge wasn't. And this place, CourtCaller that he talked about, they were notified by mail on June 22nd....seems like enough time to me...over a month.

quincy

Ok back to the "free advice" in the. Com: is the "take under submission" thing a problem? I mean, according to the prison, Mike was at the hearing but the judge wasn't. And this place, CourtCaller that he talked about, they were notified by mail on June 22nd....seems like enough time to me...over a month.
"Take under submission" simply means the judge is not making an immediate decision. The reason for this can be that the judge wants to look again at the facts and evidence, or perhaps do additional research, perhaps consult with someone before announcing a decision.

Lining up a lawyer for Mike is what stands to be the most helpful thing you can do for your friend.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">