• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

PTO for Vacation Days Worked

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

greyhounds

Yes, I had shown her the article you are referring to this past summer when we were debating my exemption category and she says that I fall under the following section in the Administrative Exemption:
Directly Related to Management or General Business Operations
To meet the “directly related to management or general business operations” requirement, an employee must perform work directly related to assisting with the running or servicing of the business, as distinguished, for example from working on a manufacturing production line or selling a product in a retail or service establishment. Work “directly related to management or general business operations” includes, but is not limited to, work in functional areas such as tax; finance; accounting; budgeting; auditing; insurance; quality control; purchasing; procurement; advertising; marketing; research; safety and health; personnel management; human resources; employee benefits; labor relations; public relations; government relations; computer network, Internet and database administration; legal and regulatory compliance; and similar activities.

greyhounds

In post #10 I explain my job duties. My primary job duty is accounts payable, payroll and i do the bank reconciliation. She says that all of this falls under the category of accounting.

The problem is that not all accounting is "exempt." I work in accounting and qualify for exempt status. The key is that I hold a degree also, and I have flexibility and discretion in my job.

That would be the same as saying that a secretary or administrative assistant is the right hand person of the management person - therefore, they are "exempt."

Florida doesn't have a DOL per se. You need to clarify with the feds. The link was posted earlier.

ecmst12

It sounds like she would LIKE your duties to qualify as exempt but I think she's overreaching. You should file the form with the IRS to investigate your status.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">