• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Put on your thinking caps...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

laurie83833

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon?

K let’s see if anyone knows the answer to this! I'm pretty sure I know it already just want to see if anyone on the board here comes up with the same answer.

Hypothetical case: And going to just make states names up.. I pull them out of thin air at random.

State A: Oregon – There is Mary and John and they have children, end up getting divorced or whatever, but a child support order is issued in state A – the noncustodial parent “Mary” is issued to pay child support but does not follow the court order and ends up in arrears. Mary then moves to another state “State Iowa”

Now it starts to get confusing… so think…

State “A” Oregon then contacts State B (Iowa) and wants them to enforce the support order for them. Which they do.. but now the children are over 18 and the support now accrued is strictly arrears that is being collected, but State B (Iowa) is now enforcing the support arrears for State A (oregon). “Mary” a few years later moves to State C (Wisconsin). State B (Iowa) is no longer involved as Mary has now moved out of their jurisidiction.

State A (Oregon) contacts State C (Wisonsin) to enforce the order of the arrears, which they do. By this time the statute of limitations has been well exhausted and past in State A (Oregon) for collections. State C (Wisconsin) has a longer “statute of limitations” for collections so State C (Wisconsins) “statutes” is applied to State A’s (Oregons) order.

Now what happens if “Mary” moves to State D (Florida)?

Who has jurisdiction?

Does State A (Oregon) then contact State D (Florida) to enforce the order?

Does State C (Wisconsin) have anything else to do with it since Mary no longer lives in their state like in State B (Iowa)?

What if the "statute of limitations" for collection of arrears has now been exhausted in both State A (Oregon) and State D (Florida) where Mary just moved to?

Is John now out of luck to collect from Mary?

Told you it was tricky!

I have a family member that works in child support collections – so like I said I pretty much know the answer.

Curious to see if anyone can get it right or close!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Silverplum

Did you recently suffer a blow to your head?

K let’s see if anyone knows the answer to this! I'm pretty sure I know it already just want to see if anyone on the board here comes up with the same answer.

Hypothetical case: And going to just make states names up.. I pull them out of thin air at random.

State A: Oregon – There is Mary and John and they have children, end up getting divorced or whatever, but a child support order is issued in state A – the noncustodial parent “Mary” is issued to pay child support but does not follow the court order and ends up in arrears. Mary then moves to another state “State Iowa”

Now it starts to get confusing… so think…

State “A” Oregon then contacts State B (Iowa) and wants them to enforce the support order for them. Which they do.. but now the children are over 18 and the support now accrued is strictly arrears that is being collected, but State B (Iowa) is now enforcing the support arrears for State A (oregon). “Mary” a few years later moves to State C (Wisconsin). State B (Iowa) is no longer involved as Mary has now moved out of their jurisidiction.

State A (Oregon) contacts State C (Wisonsin) to enforce the order of the arrears, which they do. By this time the statute of limitations has been well exhausted and past in State A (Oregon) for collections. State C (Wisconsin) has a longer “statute of limitations” for collections so State C (Wisconsins) “statutes” is applied to State A’s (Oregons) order.

Now what happens if “Mary” moves to State D (Florida)?

Who has jurisdiction?

Does State A (Oregon) then contact State D (Florida) to enforce the order?

Does State C (Wisconsin) have anything else to do with it since Mary no longer lives in their state like in State B (Iowa)?

What if the "statute of limitations" for collection of arrears has now been exhausted in both State A (Oregon) and State D (Florida) where Mary just moved to?

Is John now out of luck to collect from Mary?

Told you it was tricky!

I have a family member that works in child support collections – so like I said I pretty much know the answer.

Curious to see if anyone can get it right or close!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
:rolleyes::rolleyes:

mistoffolees

Sorry, I don't think anyone here likes doing homework for random posters.

Not to mention that if you're simply making the states up, the answer is meaningless - because it could vary from state to state.

laurie83833

Wrong..

Wrong answer.. there are certain Federal laws that govern the way which state has jusidiction over the enforcement.

In other words which states law rule the enforcement of the order?

Of course the law would vary from State to State but which state is it? Does not matter what each states laws are, the only question that was asked really was asked was WHICH state would have control over the order?

The one that Mary CURRENTLY lives in OR the state the order was INITIALLY executed and then again OR any of the other states shes has lived in prior?

Should be simple answer for many who regulary post on this board giving others advice regarding child support.

Silverplum

We aren't here to play games.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Wrong answer.. there are certain Federal laws that govern the way which state has jusidiction over the enforcement.

Of course the law would vary from State to State but which state is it? Does not matter what each states laws are, the only question that was asked really was asked was WHICH state would have control over the order?

The one that Mary CURRENTLY lives in OR the state the order was INITIALLY executed and then again OR any of the other states shes has lived in prior?

Should be simple answer for many who regulary post on this board giving others advice regarding child support.

Proserpina

Please. Go elsewhere. Do you really think we sit here all desperately waiting to jump in and do a hypothetical for someone who obviously doesn't want to put in the effort themselves?

YOU would be wrong there, m'dear. :cool:

laurie83833

Not a game...

In other words if a question came up like this on this board or rather in this forum.. no one could give the answer.
Just admit it ~ no one so far knows the answer!

I bet if I would have worded it Like

My X has moved to this state and this state "please help" what am I do do?

Then I'm sure I would get lots of answers BUT would any of them be the correct one?

I will give you the answer - this way if someone actually asks a question like this or even simular you will know what to tell them.

The originating state holds the order but the laws as far as enforcement has to be from the state where "Mary" is currently living OR whichever state holds the longest "Statute of limitations" as far as collection and enforcement if both states statues has run out then.

John has no recourse.

So this this... Do you really think we sit here all desperately waiting to jump in and do a hypothetical for someone who obviously doesn't want to put in the effort themselves?

Its obvious that no one here on the board knew the answer to this simple question and I already did..

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
In other words if a question came up like this on this board or rather in this forum.. no one could give the answer.
Just admit it ~ no one so far knows the answer!

I bet if I would have worded it Like

My X has moved to this state and this state "please help" what am I do do?

Then I'm sure I would get lots of answers BUT would any of them be the correct one?

I will give you the answer - this way if someone actually asks a question like this or even simular you will know what to tell them.

The originating state holds the order but the laws as far as enforcement has to be from the state where "Mary" is currently living OR whichever state holds the longest "Statute of limitations" as far as collection and enforcement if both states statues has run out then.

John has no recourse.

So this this... Do you really think we sit here all desperately waiting to jump in and do a hypothetical for someone who obviously doesn't want to put in the effort themselves?

Its obvious that no one here on the board knew the answer to this simple question and I already did..
I know the answer. That whole law license thing requires it when I do dr law. But quite frankly I am not reading your bs.

laurie83833

No Not Dr. Laywer

Not a lawyer.. I have a family member who has been a child support enforcement officer for the last 25 years.

And that is where I got the answer! :D - but it did stump them they had to do some research..

They said now thats a "Good question" I will have to check into it you got me thinking, I don't know what really happens in a case like that.

So is my answer direct from a lawyer - NO, but then do lawyers even know all the answers?

Now don't take me wrong - I think this board is great and very helpful to some. I just thought maybe you all might get a kick out of a question that would be very hard to answer and out of the ordinary, I guess I was wrong.

Sorry my apologies.. I think you are all great here and its good to give advice to others. I really meant no harm.

I was actually curious to see if anyone could come up with the answer on their own. Maybe I am just bored! :eek:

mistoffolees

That's not what I said. What I said was that no one WOULD give the answer, not 'could'.

We're busy enough trying to sort out the trolls from the people who really need help - most of us don't have the time or interest in helping students do their homework or helping people who want to pay 'what if?' games.

justalayman

I was actually curious to see if anyone could come up with the answer on their own. Maybe I am just bored! :eek:
so, do what others do; provide the support for the statement and no, somebody told me isn't valid support.

John is out of luck.
no, you didn't because your answer is incorrect.

ecmst12

If you had SEARCHED on this board, you would find that this very question has been answered over and over, for people who actually needed help and weren't just bored.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">