• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about citibank

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tammy8

What is the name of your state? NC

Stupid me got a citibank cc in 1995. Ex husband was authorized user (I didn't read the fine print--again stupid me and I thought he was a joint account holder). When we divorced in 1999, stupid me signed back over a piece of property with the stipulation that he pay off that account--I didn't know what the laws were then but am learning more and more each day! This was in our divorce papers but I know that means jackcrap to a CC company.

Date of last activity was March 98 so I know I still have about a year and a half before this might fall off my credit report.

What scares me is that citibank is buying up all the other CCs (my gas card and my new husband's Sears account to name a few).

What are the chances that I may slip through the cracks on this old debt (and I never used the card once and the tip of the iceburg is that ex went out and bought his mistress all new clothes on that stupid card!!!). I recently found out that he just lost his home as I was going to try and get a lein placed on it so I am out of luck with that...

Do I just lay low and pray???

Ladynred

You don't have to lay too low ;) Statute of Limitations (SOL) for legal action to enforce collection of a debt is THREE YEARS on NC, so the SOL on this bad boy ran out in 2001 !!! So, they could sue, but if its been this long they likely will not. Even if they did, the expired SOL is your best defense and you could have the whole thing tossed out of court just on that basis. If collectors bug you, send them a total cease and desist letter telling them never to contact you about the debt again as it is TIME BARRED.

IF DOLA is 3/98, then it went delinquent in 4/98, probably charged-off somewhere around 9/98. So, this should roll off your credit reports September of 2005. You may be able to dispute it off a few months early, dispute it as obsolete and it may come off.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">