• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about collection agency practices.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I really thank everyone for their input. My last question is what do I do now? Wait for another email or letter from the collection agency or what? I don't believe they'll initiate an asset investigation and I really can't see them taking me to court for $100 because they can't prove I owe more than that and they know it. Surely they wouldn't hire an attorney for such a small amount of money so what should I or do? Wait?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I really thank everyone for their input. My last question is what do I do now? Wait for another email or letter from the collection agency or what? I don't believe they'll initiate an asset investigation and I really can't see them taking me to court for $100 because they can't prove I owe more than that and they know it. Surely they wouldn't hire an attorney for such a small amount of money so what should I or do? Wait?
I suspect you owe more than $100 - you need to look for a provision for the costs of collections to be added to any amount due.

LdiJ

Again, it my opinion you should file the negative BBB claim and then sit back and wait for Carfax to respond. There is a chance that they will pull it back from the collection agency so that you can deal with them about it instead of a collection agency.

Again, it my opinion you should file the negative BBB claim and then sit back and wait for Carfax to respond. There is a chance that they will pull it back from the collection agency so that you can deal with them about it instead of a collection agency.
I plan to, it can't hurt.

FlyingRon

What happens when you complain to the BBB is it goes in the file for CARFAX. CARFAX will answer. There are 315 entries there. Apparenlty, CARFAX will at least read the complaint, at least to just make a "it's not our problem" response for the file.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">