• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about Statue of limitation - Tennessee law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Is it a good idea, to prank a teacher with a potential bad reaction

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters

Causemos

I can't answer that without knowing what prank they intend to do. But if the prank amounts to any crime it is a very bad idea, and if you as a parent encourage such behavior, that's really poor parenting, IMO. Note that if you encourage the prank you could be prosecuted, too, if the prank is a crime. If you are employed, that might result in you losing your job.

No. Prosecution commences when the prosecutor files the charges against the defendant in court or the grand jury returns an indictment against the defendant.

The statute of limitations for a civil lawsuit are different than they are for criminal prosecution. It is quite likely that the statute of limitations to sue for any harm caused by the prank would be at least two years. But again, without knowing the prank, I cannot tell you how long the teacher would have to sue or what exposure you'd have to significant damages.
Dear Taxing Matters,

Thank you for answering the question to the best of your ability.

I will add further information in a general reply to the thread.

Thanks!

Causemos

Good evening everyone,

In efforts to ease the concerns of the generous people currently subscribed to the thread, no the prank is not in itself a crime. Nor any inherently criminal behavior would be tolerated by my wife and I.

My middle child whom is a senior at his high school wants to toilet-paper one of his former teacher's yard along with glittering the teacher's yard as a senior prank on the said teacher at the end of the year. They convinced me to allow the glittering of the teacher's yard as long as they would use biodegradable glitter. I personally think the glittering is ok for that the glitter is said to disintegrate in 2-4 weeks depending on the weather, and we do get a lot of rainfall in the late spring and summer months.

I was concerned with the possible consequences in the eventuality of the teacher calling the police if caught in the act. If there is any criminal/civil consequence we wanted to make sure the statute of limitations would prevent the said teacher from filing suit/pressing charges if any. In my opinion, why would a court punish a senior for committing a senior prank with items that would deteriorate by themselves?

Thank you all for your kind and generous concerns towards my family.

Cheers!

quincy

Good evening everyone,

In efforts to ease the concerns of the generous people currently subscribed to the thread, no the prank is not in itself a crime. Nor any inherently criminal behavior would be tolerated by my wife and I.

My middle child whom is a senior at his high school wants to toilet-paper one of his former teacher's yard along with glittering the teacher's yard as a senior prank on the said teacher at the end of the year. They convinced me to allow the glittering of the teacher's yard as long as they would use biodegradable glitter. I personally think the glittering is ok for that the glitter is said to disintegrate in 2-4 weeks depending on the weather, and we do get a lot of rainfall in the late spring and summer months.

I was concerned with the possible consequences in the eventuality of the teacher calling the police if caught in the act. If there is any criminal/civil consequence we wanted to make sure the statute of limitations would prevent the said teacher from suing / pressing charges if any. In my opinion, why would a court punish a senior for committing a senior prank with items that would deteriorate by themselves?

Cheers!
While the "prank" is more harmless than originally envisioned (;)), your children could be arrested for trespassing and vandalism and, in today's world, could be shot by the teacher/homeowner.

I think you should advise your children against pranks that involve trespassing on the teacher's property - for their personal safety and to keep them from being arrested.

Causemos

While the "prank" is more harmless than originally envisioned (;)), your children could be arrested for trespassing and vandalism and, in today's world, could be shot by the teacher/homeowner.

I think you should advise your children against pranks that involve trespassing on the teacher's property - for their personal safety and to keep them from being arrested.

Dear quincy,

Thank you for your response. You are right I should have added so more context rather than vague terminology.

I generally agree that kids shouldn't do pranks on that much of scale but I think kids are going to kids especially this will be his last year of high school. You are right about the possibility of being shot but the teacher goes on vacation at the end of the year so the possibility of being caught by the teacher "TPing" their yard is relatively low.

Thanks!

quincy

Dear quincy,

Thank you for your response. You are right I should have added so more context rather than vague terminology.

I generally agree that kids shouldn't do pranks on that much of scale but I think kids are going to kids especially this will be his last year of high school. You are right about the possibility of being shot but the teacher goes on vacation at the end of the year so the possibility of being caught by the teacher "TPing" their yard is relatively low.

Thanks!
If neighbors know the teacher is away on vacation, this increases the chances of someone calling the police on your children.

I seriously recommend you discourage your children from committing any and all crimes.

Just Blue

Good evening everyone,

I was concerned with the possible consequences in the eventuality of the teacher calling the police if caught in the act. If there is any criminal/civil consequence we wanted to make sure the statute of limitations would prevent the said teacher from filing suit/pressing charges if any. In my opinion, why would a court punish a senior for committing a senior prank with items that would deteriorate by themselves?

Cheers!
Trespassing
Criminal Mischief
Littering

Just Blue

Oh! Lest we forget...If the teacher has home security cameras ( and so many people do these days) these pranksters will be filmed in the act. Even if the teacher doesn't have security cameras their neighbors likely do. I can see my next door and across the street neighbors homes almost in full on the various camera footage from our security system.

Last edited:

quincy

Oh! Lest we forget...If the teacher has home security cameras ( and so many people do these days) these pranksters will be filmed in the act. Even if the teacher doesn't have security cameras their neighbors likely do. I can see my next door and across the street neighbors homes almost in full on the various camera footage from out security system.
In other words, the statute of limitations is not likely to be a concern. The children can probably count on a quick arrest.

Just Blue

In other words, the statute of limitations is not likely to be a concern. The children can probably count on a quick arrest.
I discussed this with lil'blu (senior in high school) and she thought it was a "really :poop: thing to do". The cost of clean up will be kinda pricey...no one will sit around with their property covered in toilet paper till it degrades, so will hire someone to clean it. And OP should check to see if the glitter is harmful if ingested by animals (many pet/wildlife chew on grass).

So...This is just a bad and criminal prank. Those that agree say "Aye".

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Good evening everyone,

My middle child whom is a senior at his high school wants to toilet-paper one of his former teacher's yard along with glittering the teacher's yard as a senior prank on the said teacher at the end of the year.
The state could prosecute them for trepassing and/or littering, both apparently misdemeanor offenses. In addition to the other penalties for it, the kids could be charged with the cost of clean up. This prank is one that is extremely annoying to howeowners at best and one that the teacher is not likely to find humorous. The best pranks are those that do no harm to others and do not seriously annoy them. This prank shows very little regard for the feelings of the teacher, and for that reason IMO is a mean, unkind thing to do. As a parent I would not only not encourage my kids to do that, I would forbid them to do it and punish them myself if they did. Kids should be taught respect for others and the property of others.

quincy

So...This is just a bad and criminal prank. Those that agree say "Aye".
Aye. :)

The best senior pranks are the ones that produce smiles not arrests. For example, one senior group hired a mariachi band to follow their principal around the school all day.

You always hope that by the time students are 17 or 18, they are bright enough to be able to come up with creative (and legal) ways to express themselves.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">