• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about tennant laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

timttruong

Hi I live in CA, I have a legal question about tennant laws.

I visit my girlfriend at her apartment on occasion and stay the night at her place, as her guest. Before I met her, she had 2 roommates a couple who shared the spare bedroom in their apartment with her. They split the rental cost, but were ok with me visiting, and this turned into a temporary living situation for me. Her roommates then decide to move to Washington and they left the apartment, unoccupied without finding a new tennant to take their spot. Leaving the possibility of increased rent on my girlfriend. The apartment complexes landlords did nothing about this. In fact since the previous roommates neglected to pay their pg&e bill, her power was shut off while she was there, again the apartment complex managers did nothing and claimed it was a claim with PG&E and not their apartment complex. Unfortunetly we had to involve a lawer, and both parties came to some type of agreement, which wasn't entirely followed. The tennants who move to washington found another possible tennant, a female who agreed to sign the lease for the remaining time, and then take over once my girlfriends lease was finished.

Unbeknownst to my girlfriend, after signing the lease, she had her boyfriend from out of town sign on the lease as well, only telling my girlfriend after this was done.

I think you can see the legal problems continually arising. On top of the that her boyfriend comes to the house, that I stay at with her sometimes, which I have been and says that he intends to move in 15 days before the lease states he can move in. So he moves in and stays 15 days before the agreed upon lease time.

Now the new roommate her boyfriend as well as their cousin are all staying at my girlfriends apartment because they let their cousin crash on my girlfriends couch without letting her know before hand. They also begin using the apartment like its there own, moving my girlfriends stuff around, without asking her, filling up the fridge with their food etc. One night they have a habit of slamming their doors and the 1 restroom door, frequently which is loud, and obnoxious to listen to when we are in her room. We politely ask them to stop slamming the doors.

The new tennants the girl and her boyfriend, start getting in a big debate with us about how they can do what they want in their own home, after living their for less than 3 weeks. and that because they pay the share of rent, they can do what they want, and that I pose a threat to them, by being their because they don't know me. I tell them, that I have been living her with her old roommates and my girlfriend as her guest from time to time and that only they should try and close the doors quietly at night.

As this problem escalates, I want to know if there is any legal ramifications for their actions, or am I as her guest over stepping any grounds with being their without being on the lease. Please let me know, as I've only tried to do the right thing in this awkward situation. Thanks.

Just Blue

Hi I live in CA, I have a legal question about tennant laws.

I visit my girlfriend at her apartment on occasion and stay the night at her place, as her guest. Before I met her, she had 2 roommates a couple who shared the spare bedroom in their apartment with her. They split the rental cost, but were ok with me visiting, and this turned into a temporary living situation for me. Her roommates then decide to move to Washington and they left the apartment, unoccupied without finding a new tennant to take their spot. Leaving the possibility of increased rent on my girlfriend. The apartment complexes landlords did nothing about this. In fact since the previous roommates neglected to pay their pg&e bill, her power was shut off while she was there, again the apartment complex managers did nothing and claimed it was a claim with PG&E and not their apartment complex. Unfortunetly we had to involve a lawer, and both parties came to some type of agreement, which wasn't entirely followed. The tennants who move to washington found another possible tennant, a female who agreed to sign the lease for the remaining time, and then take over once my girlfriends lease was finished.

Unbeknownst to my girlfriend, after signing the lease, she had her boyfriend from out of town sign on the lease as well, only telling my girlfriend after this was done.

I think you can see the legal problems continually arising. On top of the that her boyfriend comes to the house, that I stay at with her sometimes, which I have been and says that he intends to move in 15 days before the lease states he can move in. So he moves in and stays 15 days before the agreed upon lease time.

Now the new roommate her boyfriend as well as their cousin are all staying at my girlfriends apartment because they let their cousin crash on my girlfriends couch without letting her know before hand. They also begin using the apartment like its there own, moving my girlfriends stuff around, without asking her, filling up the fridge with their food etc. One night they have a habit of slamming their doors and the 1 restroom door, frequently which is loud, and obnoxious to listen to when we are in her room. We politely ask them to stop slamming the doors.

The new tennants the girl and her boyfriend, start getting in a big debate with us about how they can do what they want in their own home, after living their for less than 3 weeks. and that because they pay the share of rent, they can do what they want, and that I pose a threat to them, by being their because they don't know me. I tell them, that I have been living her with her old roommates and my girlfriend as her guest from time to time and that only they should try and close the doors quietly at night.

As this problem escalates, I want to know if there is any legal ramifications for their actions, or am I as her guest over stepping any grounds with being their without being on the lease. Please let me know, as I've only tried to do the right thing in this awkward situation. Thanks.
Are you paying rent? Electric? Water? Anything? No? Then you are seriously overstepping your place as a guest in their home.

adjusterjack

As this problem escalates, I want to know if there is any legal ramifications for their actions, or am I as her guest over stepping any grounds with being their without being on the lease. Please let me know, as I've only tried to do the right thing in this awkward situation.
You and your girlfriend have nobody to blame but yourselves. You are learning very quickly why roommate arrangements can often turn into nightmares.

You have no say in anything since you don't pay rent and aren't on the lease. The other roommates can easily exclude you from the apartment with a restraining order if they want to.

When the first couple moved out you should have moved in, gave up your place, and split the rent with your girlfriend.

At this point, the other roommates are right, they can pretty much do anything they want in their home and none of this was ever the landlord's problem as long as he's getting his rent on time and nobody is destroying anything.

When the lease is up I suggest that your girlfriend get a small studio or efficiency that she can handle on her own, or with you, or move into your place (and hope the relationship doesn't go south).

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights

As this problem escalates, I want to know if there is any legal ramifications for their actions, or am I as her guest over stepping any grounds with being their without being on the lease.

Here's the thing: they belong there, you don't. They are paying rent, which makes it THEIR HOME, albeit one they share with the other tenant (not tennant, there is only 1 "n").

They may be crappy roommates, but there's nothing illegal about what they're doing. Perhaps you can start paying rent so she doesn't have to have roommates any more after this lease is up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">