• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about using someone else's services but renaming under my own.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kinzik

I'll try to explain this as simply as i can. A company takes a factory gun trigger and modifies it to have better function and performance. The factory triggers are provide by the buyer, not the company. This company has no patents on their work and don't actually sell any real property, just services. I'm wonder if I send them a trigger to modify. Once its been returned to me can I put my own label on the trigger and call it "john smiths trigger" (not the real name). Thanks for any input. I just don't want to run into any legal trouble. I know contacting the company to get their permission would be the best course of action but, since I'm a just starting this out to see if it even works I don't have the resources to be able to buy a large number of triggers so the company would let me "partner" with them.

adjusterjack

Once its been returned to me can I put my own label on the trigger and call it "john smiths trigger"
You'd have to be nuts to put your own name on it. The liability issues in modifying firearms parts can be nightmarish. If you think you don't have resources now, wait until you get sued back into the stone age.

This is a no-brainer. Don't do it. Don't even think about it.

Kinzik

Ok yea I fell stupid now, I didn't even consider the liability issues for selling modified gun parts. Thanks for the input. I'll just try to resell with their company name to see how it goes. That company's biggest problem is everything is done to order and they have to wait to get the part from the buyer. So a 3-4 week process to receive an item isn't what people want currently. They want an item in 2-3 days so having the product ready to ship would be great for consumers and I think they would pay a little more for it. Cheers

Mass_Shyster

You neglected to name the state you are in. I can assure you that if you try selling modified triggers to Massachusetts residents, you'll get a nasty letter from our Attorney General.

Just Blue

Ok yea I fell stupid now, I didn't even consider the liability issues for selling modified gun parts. Thanks for the input. I'll just try to resell with their company name to see how it goes. That company's biggest problem is everything is done to order and they have to wait to get the part from the buyer. So a 3-4 week process to receive an item isn't what people want currently. They want an item in 2-3 days so having the product ready to ship would be great for consumers and I think they would pay a little more for it. Cheers
Do I understand correctly that you plan on modifying a gun part and reselling under the manufactures name?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You are still exposing yourself to liability.

PayrollHRGuy

You neglected to name the state you are in. I can assure you that if you try selling modified triggers to Massachusetts residents, you'll get a nasty letter from our Attorney General.

Are you sure? Last time I checked the law in MA on triggers applied to firearms dealers and was pretty much a pull weight issue.

Kinzik

Im in Florida, Orginial plan was to put my name of a trigger that was modified by a gunsmithing company. However after considering the liability of selling gun parts with my name, I'm just going to sell their products with their name on it.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Im in Florida, Orginial plan was to put my name of a trigger that was modified by a gunsmithing company. However after considering the liability of selling gun parts with my name, I'm just going to sell their products with their name on it.
You could still end up in the middle of a costly lawsuit. If you intend to proceed, I would suggest ample insurance.

adjusterjack

They want an item in 2-3 days so having the product ready to ship would be great for consumers and I think they would pay a little more for it.
They can buy guns that are already optimized. Or they can use local gunsmiths.

However after considering the liability of selling gun parts with my name, I'm just going to sell their products with their name on it.
Basically a gun parts retailer for which you can still be sued. You should still have liability insurance just like a gun store has. The cost of defending a lawsuit would wipe you out even if you got absolved of any liability.

I think you need to explain what kind of firearms related business you are in.

Kinzik

I just do minor gun work for local people. Assembly, changing parts, sighting in optics. Nothing requiring special equipment or tools, just the knowledge and experience. I will definitely look into liability insurance before I take the next step. I have a couple of the triggers already on order but they wont be in for weeks. The issue with the exact part I'm talking about it is for the very popular Ruger 10/22. The after market competition drop in triggers are pretty expensive, $250+. The gunsmithing company that takes your own trigger and converts it to a competition trigger cost $110. They don't sell these anywhere currently. Picking up factory triggers that don't have any work is pretty cheap. $25-$35 each. So id basically have $135-145 into each trigger. Market them for $175 and make a small profit on each one. Customer doesn't have to wait to send there trigger in and I make a little bit of money. I've been monitoring other people that do the same thing with other parts, custom stocks, bolts, anything that's only made to order, not mass produced, or on the shelf ready to ship. I wouldn't say these items fly of the shelves but they seem to move a good number of them on a monthly basis.

Mass_Shyster

Are you sure? Last time I checked the law in MA on triggers applied to firearms dealers and was pretty much a pull weight issue.
She sends threatening letters to any company who sells online and ships to Mass. There's a real question of jurisdiction, but many sellers simply won't ship to Mass for fear of retribution. It's very difficult to buy ammo online. I've had clients who can't buy a knife online.

A few years ago she sued Glock in a Massachusetts court, even though her office has deemed Glocks too dangerous to be sold in Mass

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">