• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question of Ownership?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

momm2500

Boy I might get yelled at again for posting anything that anyone disagrees with!

Are you a US Citizen? One of the best things that could possibly help you, is contact the US Embassy in Costa Rica. Explain the situation to them.

http://www.usembassy.or.cr/

See if they can help you obtain a copy of the death certificate. I would try every avenue that you can. Now you indicated that the bill was coming in your name**************...did you notify the insurance company of your address so the bill can now come to you and you can start paying on it? Also, SOME insurance companies do want additional information if you are going to increase the value of an insurance policy. Also, the confusing part is how she was able to get her name on the policy as beneficiary if dad died and dad was the only one that was permitted to do that? An executor of an estate or of a will can not even do that.

ErinGoBragh

Just got off the horn w/ the company.

They were not even aware of my Father passing away in 2005.
My sister never informed them.
She had previously told me that he had it switched over to her in case of death. (TOD)
This is not the case.

When I talked to her about it, she changed the story again. " I can't be bene if im the owner of the policy so I just left it in his name" she said.

The company said in order to become owner of the policy, I need to fax them a simple request and a copy of the death certificate. I was then asked if I'd like to change the Bene now, over the phone. - So I did.
my sis told me she had every right to "up" the amount since she had been paying for it since jan 06.

I offered to pay her back what she put into it and then take over payments.
This still didn't sit right with her. She became a victim. Saying I didnt trust her.
She said she was only trying to help. I responded by saying I was looking out for my wife.

Maybe it IS a moral question. When it started, I was unemployed and not married.
A lot has changed since. I have a wife and a new child to think of. Thats all I was worried about.

Its not worth the fighting or the hassle.

I don't know what to do now. She holds the death certificates and once she finds out I changed the bene to my wife, who knows what will happen?

Should I just forget about it? and take out a new policy?
http://64.233.179.104/translate_c?hl=en&sl=es&u=http://www.registronacional.go.cr/Principal.htm&prev=/search?q=Registro+Civil+Costa+Rica&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=BLP&sa=X&usg=ALkJrhgi1F4WvDxAqTK2YCCj6pXhoj2nnw

(506) 2 24 81 11

Above is information on Registro Civil of Costa Rica. Website and phone number contact info, you give them the name and they'll tell you how to get it. All that from 2 seconds of googling!

Wow, that was hard, I need to go nap after all that work.

EDIT: Your story makes no sense. They have no proof of the death of your father, but they let you change the beneficiary over the phone?! I don't buy it, not for one minute.

Maybe once they had proof your dad died, but not a minute before that.

Anyone else find this suspect?

And to the OP, if any of your post is legit: If you want to give it up to avoid the hassle so easily, you shouldn't have posted here. If you can't be bothered to get the death certificate, I can't be bothered giving you advice.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">