• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question on a Bad Check Criminal Warrant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jps37033

What is the name of your state? tennessee

I am wanting to find out if a criminal warrant can be cancelled if the store owner agreed to after I paid the bad check off. They had already filed it at the courthouse.

I also had 3 other checks go bad due to writing a friend a hold check for an apartment that got cashed and was not supposed to. I have court for one on Monday. What will happen at this appearance? What should I say or do at court to stay out of jail?

thanks

Raptoer

If it is a criminal charge then the store owner cannot drop the charges because it is the state that is bringing you to court. It comes down to whether or not the DA decides to prosecute, which none of us can really predict. The store owner can ask the DA to drop the charges, but it is up to him.

You should be relatively ok, since it was a misunderstanding and not malicious.

I'm assuming that you've paid off all of the bad checks and have no debts due to them right now.

You're going to court to be arraigned, to have the charges against you read and a court date decided.

Things to remember when in court: Don't lie, it doesn't work. Remain civil, don't raise your voice, no matter what. Explain that it was a mistake with your finances and you didn't intend for the check to bounce, and that you have since paid off the debt. But the blame lands with you since you handed out too many checks.

Be more careful with your finances, don't hand somebody a check until you're ready for them to cash it. Especially since the court might not believe it was a mistake next time.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">