• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question on separation/dissolution and alimony (OH)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hoping this is enough info to answer this.
After 8 years of marriage our finances were kept separate the entire time.
She worked for about a year at beginning and then quit for health reasons but nothing diagnosed by a doctor.
I own a home with the loan in my name and have paid for all maintenance/renovations and mortgage the entire time.
She doesn't want alimony. She has a 5-6 figure amount of savings on her own.
Is there ever a case where a judge would force alimony? If so is it possible for this situation?

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Hoping this is enough info to answer this.
After 8 years of marriage our finances were kept separate the entire time.
She worked for about a year at beginning and then quit for health reasons but nothing diagnosed by a doctor.
I own a home with the loan in my name and have paid for all maintenance/renovations and mortgage the entire time.
She doesn't want alimony. She has a 5-6 figure amount of savings on her own.
Is there ever a case where a judge would force alimony? If so is it possible for this situation?
The home is marital property. At least a portion thereof. When did you buy the house? Is she on the title? Just because your finances were kept separate doesn't mean they are separate property. Will the court force alimony? Not usually. But you really need to understand what is considered equitable distribution, as well as the differences between marital and separate property.

When I said my home loan was in my name I meant it was titled in my name only. Sorry that wasn't clear. The house was initially purchased 20 years ago with a previous marriage but first wife signed quit claim deed for that. Last refinance was done before marriage.
I understand marital property but as she is agreeing to keep finances and assets separate I do not anticipate any further divisions or modifications to these.
However, I don't know if judges will ever override the wishes of the 2 parties and do what they think is fair instead. That is what I am trying to find out.
I have a quit claim deed for current wife to sign and not sure if that is usually done before or after dissolution.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
When I said my home loan was in my name I meant it was titled in my name only. Sorry that wasn't clear. The house was initially purchased 20 years ago with a previous marriage but first wife signed quit claim deed for that. Last refinance was done before marriage.
I understand marital property but as she is agreeing to keep finances and assets separate I do not anticipate any further divisions or modifications to these.
However, I don't know if judges will ever override the wishes of the 2 parties and do what they think is fair instead. That is what I am trying to find out.
I have a quit claim deed for current wife to sign and not sure if that is usually done before or after dissolution.
If the two of you agree on the terms of your divorce, the judge generally won't argue with you, even if things aren't "split down the middle", so to speak. The judge will really only be concerned if there is some egregious inequity.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">