• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Questions about custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JS621

What is the name of your state? New York
I need some information about sole custody of my daughter... She is 11 months old and her father has never helped finaicially, he has only seen her a hand full of times when she was just born...He has recently moved to Flordia without telling me where he is or any way to get in touch with him, should i need to. My question is does he have any custody right now? His name is on the birth certificate but that is about it. What can I do to get sole custody of her if I don't already have it?

LdiJ

JS621 said:
What is the name of your state? New York
I need some information about sole custody of my daughter... She is 11 months old and her father has never helped finaicially, he has only seen her a hand full of times when she was just born...He has recently moved to Flordia without telling me where he is or any way to get in touch with him, should i need to. My question is does he have any custody right now? His name is on the birth certificate but that is about it. What can I do to get sole custody of her if I don't already have it?
No...he doesn't have any custody at this point....or at least not enforceable custody....nor any enforceable visitation rights. About the only thing that you can't do regarding your child is get a passport for her without his signature. Unless that is an issue its probably wisest to leave things be for now.

CJane

You already have custody.

He's under no obligation to visit or support the child in any way until a court orders him to do so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">