• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Questions about custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JS621

What is the name of your state? New York

I do not want him to have any custody as far as i am concerned he gave up that right by leaving and not telling us...What i want to make sure of is that he can not come back in a month, a year, or ten years and claim that he has any sort of custody rights to her...
What i want to know is if this is possible? Should i leave it alone for now or fight for sole custody?

CJane

You need to try to keep your threads together by hitting the reply button.

But, you HAVE sole custody if you were never married to the man. So leave it alone for now - and don't file for child support, or go on state aid. Nothing will make someone interested in seeing their kid like having to pay CS.

Be prepared though, if he shows up in 15 years and wants visitation, he's VERY likely to get it in some form. That's just the way it works.

JS621

Would he still get custody with the following backgroud...He has two other children by two other women...he does not pay child support to either one...he has had his liscense taken away, tax checks...etc..he drives without his license and a few months ago has involved in an accident where he feld the scenehe has been arested for selling drugs to undercover officers but the charges were later dropped...he also does drugs such as smoking pot...coke...he has been fired from all jobs the latest one b/c he stole out of a coustomers house...with all this in his past would he still get custody if he tried?

CJane

JS621 said:
with all this in his past would he still get custody if he tried?
He would likely get some sort of visitation/custody. Yes. The thing is, and you're not going to like this, but it's a fact... you CHOSE him to be the father of your child. The fact that you 1) let him fertilize one of your eggs 2) chose to carry the baby to term 3) chose to keep the baby all result in him having a constitutional right to parent the child if he chooses to step up to the plate.

JS621

YES... I chose to carry my baby to term b/c what other choice did I have... Abortion is WRONG and YES I chose to keep my baby b/c putting her up for adoption was never an option...I asked for advice not for your stuck up opinion...

W

wildncrazyguy

you slept with him

JS621 said:
Would he still get custody with the following backgroud...He has two other children by two other women...he does not pay child support to either one...he has had his liscense taken away, tax checks...etc..he drives without his license and a few months ago has involved in an accident where he feld the scenehe has been arested for selling drugs to undercover officers but the charges were later dropped...he also does drugs such as smoking pot...coke...he has been fired from all jobs the latest one b/c he stole out of a coustomers house...with all this in his past would he still get custody if he tried?
it didnt stop you from having a child with him did it? he was good enough to sleep with, despite his "bad" background:rolleyes:

CJane

JS621 said:
YES... I chose to carry my baby to term b/c what other choice did I have... Abortion is WRONG and YES I chose to keep my baby b/c putting her up for adoption was never an option...I asked for advice not for your stuck up opinion...
It was in no way intended as a stuck up opinion. You CHOSE to have a child... I've done the same thing more than once. But you can't, at this point, claim that he has less of a right to be a parent than you do. The courts just won't see it that way.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">