• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Questions on Libel/Defamation.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

norm99

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? RI

I've been a victim of libel by a bulletin board administrator. He's created a permenant record in my user file stating that I abused a former position of authority, that I later resigned of my own free will, to change security settings for a select few users that he termed my friends. I still don't know the names of the accounts I'm accused of changing settings for.

This record is viewable by a large group of people and is utterly false. I normally would try to resolve this without a suit, but I've found him to be unreasonable in all things pertaining to me. The reason being that I caught him lying a half year ago and he's had a vendetta against me ever since. I can prove that he lied, if there's a real need to, and I don't even believe that the things he's accusing me of are even possible.

I have a copy of the record, it calls me by name and definitely impugns my character.

I need to know what steps I need to take to file against him and the corporation he runs, if anyone would be so kind.

Thank you.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

How long ago did he post this information?

What ACTUAL damages have you suffered? That is, have you lost any monetary opportunities?

How MANY people (actual number) actually believe the information?

IAAL

N

norm99

It was posted two days ago.

I haven't suffered any monetary injury from this, but my reputation suffers greatly - - it's a very fluid community and with each new person that comes in, that record becomes the first thing they see about me and as I no longer take part in the administrative portion of the site I have no recompense to balance that out - besides that, he's the company's founder so there's almost nothing I could say anyway beacause it'd just be deleted.

As for number and people who believe - - I really have no idea and no method of polling people to see if they believe it or not. At any given time it's probably around 80, but then it might be 70 old people and 10 new, on average they add about 5 new people per month to the group that can read this information.

I don't really want to seek monetary damages; I'm not gold digging. I just want a retraction and apology where the libel sits now and an injunction against him handling any further actions with my account.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">